Used 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

What everyone should own...
By wittyj

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have put 37000+ flawless mile on the vehicle. Not one problem. Been to the dealer three times for free oil change and service. Always get 42 to 44 per tank with individual drives of over 50mpg. Seats are very comfortable, ergonomics are first rate. Vehicle is very easy to live with on a day to day basis. Did not get nav system, GARMIN is much less expensive.

Diesel engine, transmission, fuel consumption or lack thereof. The car is just very easy to live with. My wife will often take this over the 2011 BMW X5 diesel! She likes to try to get 50mpg. Cavernous storage

Almost the perfect vehicle.........

Incredible machine!
By jinxo

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The 2010 Jetta TDI is far and away the finest car I have ever owned. It is tightly constructed and a joy to drive. Best of all is the mileage: in a mix of highway and suburban driving, I consistently get in the mid-to-high 40's, sometimes over 50 mpg. I like the styling (last year for this style) and the interior quality is excellent. While not a screamer, performance is beyond adequate. In 20 months, I have put over 47,000 miles on this car with very few issues. My wife has a Honda Accord, and she is very jealous of my Jetta. I'm very pleased!

Standard satellite radio; 45-50 highway mpg; comfort; performance; styling; environmental friendliness; available manual transmission.

The rear deck is a little high and limits rear visibility. The touch screen radio is a potential distraction. The accessories sometimes seem to have a mind of their own (for example, the wipers go into intermittent mode when the vehicle stops, whether I want them to or not). I wish an iPod adapter was standard.

Couldn't be happier
By ajpeters

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We bought this car mostly because of the efficiency and I like diesels much better than hybrids.
From what I hear I'm glad we got a 2010 and not a 2011.
With just over 9000 miles we could not be happier with this car.
It handles nicely, is comfortable to drive on long trips (we have driven it back home to Montana twice from Iowa since we got it), has plenty of trunk space, and gets phenomenal fuel mileage.
We average 43-45 on the highway when the temperatures are above freezing and 36-39 when below.
The standard Sirius radio is nice and the interior noise level is great. The transmission takes a bit getting used to as it shifts down when decelerating and slows the car down unexpectedly

Fuel mileage, ride quality, handling, interior quality, interior noise level, trunk space.

I wish they hadn't dumbed down the 2011 model so much. I like the exterior styling but the interior quality is terrible. We were lucky to be able to buy a brand new 2010 before they were gone.

Crazy Fun
By buelo

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have had this car for 6 months - mostly driven in Wisconsin winter conditions. After 8,500 miles all I can say is WOW! Fun would be an understatement.
I spent about $800 for a winter set of alloy rims and Michelin X-Ice tires at Tire Rack - highly recommend winter tires given the torque in this engine. Averaged 38 to 40 MPG over coldest months driving 40% city/60% highway. Now above freezing and getting 42 to 44 MPG. If I really keep off the gas pedal I can get high 40s, but hard to do when you have that engine under the hood. Beats the heck out of my wife's Camry Hybrid and gets much better highway milage (city milage too in cold weather.) Manual is a little touchy until you get feel.

Interior fit and finish is great, as is touch screen audio system. Bluetooth with phone sounds great. Trunk is huge. Covered vinyl seats with custom sheepskin covers (accomodates air bags) to provide cold/hot weather comfort but they neutralize heated seats. Mileage is great.

Tight rear seat leg and foot room for adults. Dealer dinged door while in for warranty service (both rear window seals needed to be replaced) but they fixed it.

More diesel, please!
By ray_j

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I decided to give up the commuter/family mover (Prius) in favor of the inspired driving characteristics, superior cargo room, and better looks of the JSW.
Not wanting to give up on the efficiency, however, made the decision for the TDI flavor much more of a "need" than a "want".
Well worth the premium price.
I often find myself forgetting when the last time I refueled.
The interior treatment is far superior to the JSW's competition, with excellent audio/entertainment accompaniments and vastly superior quality of materials/workmanship.
Cargo hauling is also a big plus; after moving our household, I can attest to the versatility of having a wagon vice a sedan, or an mpg nightmare (SUVs).

Exterior looks; interior quality; fuel efficiency; hauling versatility; inspired driving characteristics; ergonomics and control placement; manual transmission is spaced brilliantly, with a "true" 6th gear overdrive!

Add an updated Bluetooth module to enable voice calling (DONE! The MY 2011 has it as a standard option for the TDI) I stayed away from the panoramic roof due to several leak and moisture issues reported by some owners.