Used 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Couldn't be happier
By ajpeters

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We bought this car mostly because of the efficiency and I like diesels much better than hybrids.
From what I hear I'm glad we got a 2010 and not a 2011.
With just over 9000 miles we could not be happier with this car.
It handles nicely, is comfortable to drive on long trips (we have driven it back home to Montana twice from Iowa since we got it), has plenty of trunk space, and gets phenomenal fuel mileage.
We average 43-45 on the highway when the temperatures are above freezing and 36-39 when below.
The standard Sirius radio is nice and the interior noise level is great. The transmission takes a bit getting used to as it shifts down when decelerating and slows the car down unexpectedly

Fuel mileage, ride quality, handling, interior quality, interior noise level, trunk space.

I wish they hadn't dumbed down the 2011 model so much. I like the exterior styling but the interior quality is terrible. We were lucky to be able to buy a brand new 2010 before they were gone.

So disappointed I traded it in within a month
By greyhounds3

2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am a 4-time VW owner (Fox, old Jetta, new Jetta, Touareg), so I was eager for a reasonably priced wagon that gets great fuel economy.
The vehicle was not fully explained to me at the dealership and I never would have bought it if it had been.
The transmission is so incredibly jerky and when the car shifts gears, you actually jerk along with it.
The brakes are so tight that they are shockingly sudden.
I never had this before in my VWs.
The seats are so uncomfortable that I feel like I am sitting on rocks, which could have been less expensive.
I have needed to see a massage therapist and chiropractor due to these seats. I am petite-maybe someone taller can tolerate these seats.

I love the manual feature of the Jetta Wagen. Driving it manual actually is a lot less jerky than driving it in automatic transmission. The bluetooth is clear and loud.

The seats are ungodly uncomfortable. I am 5'2" and nothing under the sun could make me comfortable in these seats. I have seen a massage therapist and chiropractor after sitting in this car for a month. The transmission is awful and jerky while changing gears. The brakes are so tight and jerky that my dogs were flying around the cargo area when I would brake.

Crazy Fun
By buelo

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have had this car for 6 months - mostly driven in Wisconsin winter conditions. After 8,500 miles all I can say is WOW! Fun would be an understatement.
I spent about $800 for a winter set of alloy rims and Michelin X-Ice tires at Tire Rack - highly recommend winter tires given the torque in this engine. Averaged 38 to 40 MPG over coldest months driving 40% city/60% highway. Now above freezing and getting 42 to 44 MPG. If I really keep off the gas pedal I can get high 40s, but hard to do when you have that engine under the hood. Beats the heck out of my wife's Camry Hybrid and gets much better highway milage (city milage too in cold weather.) Manual is a little touchy until you get feel.

Interior fit and finish is great, as is touch screen audio system. Bluetooth with phone sounds great. Trunk is huge. Covered vinyl seats with custom sheepskin covers (accomodates air bags) to provide cold/hot weather comfort but they neutralize heated seats. Mileage is great.

Tight rear seat leg and foot room for adults. Dealer dinged door while in for warranty service (both rear window seals needed to be replaced) but they fixed it.

More diesel, please!
By ray_j

2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I decided to give up the commuter/family mover (Prius) in favor of the inspired driving characteristics, superior cargo room, and better looks of the JSW.
Not wanting to give up on the efficiency, however, made the decision for the TDI flavor much more of a "need" than a "want".
Well worth the premium price.
I often find myself forgetting when the last time I refueled.
The interior treatment is far superior to the JSW's competition, with excellent audio/entertainment accompaniments and vastly superior quality of materials/workmanship.
Cargo hauling is also a big plus; after moving our household, I can attest to the versatility of having a wagon vice a sedan, or an mpg nightmare (SUVs).

Exterior looks; interior quality; fuel efficiency; hauling versatility; inspired driving characteristics; ergonomics and control placement; manual transmission is spaced brilliantly, with a "true" 6th gear overdrive!

Add an updated Bluetooth module to enable voice calling (DONE! The MY 2011 has it as a standard option for the TDI) I stayed away from the panoramic roof due to several leak and moisture issues reported by some owners.

6 Months with '10 Jetta TDI
By tdidriver1

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

First, the good:
the car is very fun to drive, the interior compares with much higher priced cars and the fuel economy is good.
The, bad:
two "campaigns" within 6 months, oil leak, sway bar (common problem I've read) and lower control arm bushings (common problem I've read) all replaced.
Now, it's leaking diesel after 18,500 miles and just about six months.
There is a problem with some of the high pressure fuel pumps failing.
Hopefully, this is not a precursor of the failure for me.
I loved the car at first, but service at the dealers is poor and VW customer service is less than helpful. Be forewarned about the high pressure fuel pump failure and poor service from dealers

Fun to drive; good fuel economy; quality of interior; sporty suspension

Reliability; better service at dealers (it takes 1 - 2 weeks to get an appointment and they always seem to have to keep your car for a part order) Address the high pressure fuel pump failure that could result in upwards of $10,000 in repairs. I have read VW and dealers sometimes blame it on "bad fuel." Probably not the case, in my opinion. NHTSA is investigating.