Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Definitely worth every penny
By Dee

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car definitely has a very solid feel to it, especially when compared to other brands. We found the rear legroom to be plenty for people under 6'. The downside is the 2.5L feels boring, heavy and slow, plus it's mileage isn't that great in the city. Wish they would've kept the 2.0T, but they wanted better reliability, so 2.5L it is. Interior is typical VW quality, although it's a little drab especially if you have the black interior. The quality of the V-Tex is very good, but it makes the front seats are a little too firm. Trunk is huge huge huge. Lots of features not found in other cars of it's class, such as heated seats, heated mirrors, etc. Haven't had any reliability issues so far..

heated seats, pop-open trunk, interior lighting, lots of airbags / great safety rating

Better ipod controls, more storage in the front of the car/more cupholders, a way to open the trunk from the outside w/o the keyfob, and get rid of the air vent on the dash and replace it with a tray like the one found on the Tiguan.

Well built car that is fun to drive also
By jet25s

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had the car for three months and it has been good to me as a daily commuter car. The engine pulls hard from the low rpm range and the manual transmission shifts very smoothly but with assurance. The suspension is dialed between comfort and handling so it is not very cushy but it has more body roll than I would like. It feels as quick as my 2500lb Miata in the straight line acceleration. I have autocrossed the Jetta and it pleasantly surprised me in its stock form with the all season tires. The rear view mirror developed a crack this morning when the heat came on when it was frozen. I am hoping it will be covered under warranty...

1. Standard heated seats! 2. Smooth revving capable 5 cylinder engine. 3. Very quick rear defroster. 4. Clean and ergonomic interior layout. 5. Standard Heated exterior mirrors.

1. The seat bottom is tilted back too far so it is uncomfortable on my lower thigh area when making gear shifts. I had to add metal bushings under the rear bolt holes of the seat rails to raise the rear end. 2. The radio reception is bad. 3. Put thicker sway bars and reduce the body roll.

Happy So Far
By himoses

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Our 2000 Ford Focus bit the dust and my wife and I were looking to replace it. We were between this, the Altima, Fusion, Accord, Sonata and Elantra Touring. This car offers a lot of options on the base model and good acceleration for its class. While not quite a "pocket rocket" as I would have liked, it definitely is a fun car to drive. The Mazda 3 was sportier but this just feels like a nicer car. This is a very comfortable car and is just big enough for my wife and I. I felt the midsize cars were just too large for city driving. The Jetta is an excellent city cruiser. It performs quite well in the snow. The Jetta has a lot of character. I just hope it holds up as well as my Focus.

I like the heated seats and mirrors for those Chicago winters. The traction and stability control have been handy. The ergonomics of this car are untouchable by anything in the price range. I love the overall comfort of this car. The fit and finish of the Jetta is excellent except for hubcaps.

Could use a little more sound dampening as highway trips can be a little on the loud side on unrefined pavement. I would also like to see a little better fuel economy (I average 23 city 31 hwy in mostly city driving). Hubcap fell off and was not covered under warranty. Make power seats standard.

poor quality of assembly
By rrrr

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It seems as if this car was not well put together. The windows squeak when going up and down. The plastic of the handlebars seems to not be well aligned. The reflectors on the doors fell off within weeks of purchase. The steering wheel is not straight and the dealer can't or won't fix it.

the service plan really needs some improvement. take your time when assembling the car and ensure that the components go where they should.

Awesome Car
By JETTAFAN

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is by far the best car i've ever purchased. Though I was nervous at first (as the dealer explained to me that the costs of repairs for this car are very expensive), I've had no problems yet. The car drives great and the 6 speed tripmatic is awesome. I find the car to be very comfortable and love nothing more than the heated seats in the winter. I 100% recommend.

Tight suspension, lots of torque, great stylish interior.

The SE is completely loaded, except for automatic headlights...