Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 260 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great daily wagon for me
By PJ

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The car is loaded and a blast to drive.Driver airbag module was loose fit from clockspring causing constant airbag light .I fixed with dab goop .Check enging po956 code from $15 purge valve from overfilling gas .Buy yourself a U291 $10.00 scanner or get codes scaned at a parts store if it ever has any.It can reset what dealer charges over $100.00 to do . The panoroof should never be operated with sunshade closed . It will come unglued .I fixed mine for $ 250 Dealer will charge a fortune to drop headliner and replace.(unnecessary) All my problems may be related to the car was a bank repo and sat 2 years in impound .Front brakes lasted 65000 rears 40000 Just replaced origional tires at 65000.Not as good of a car as my 2004 Camry but a whole lot more fun.

Maintenance repair shop queen
By Keith

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car achieves outstanding mileage with the TDI engine with enormous low end torque. However it is a maintenance nightmare. The Satellite radio failed at 18 months along with the aux port. The TDI engine intercooler had a design fault resulting in bent valve and engine freeze up. Volkswagen replaced the engine under warranty. All four struts, shocks and wheel bearings have failed in the last 24 months. Car is religiously washed and waxed. The paint failed at 70 months on all four wheel wells and the rocker panels with large chunks of paint blistering and peeling off. Volkswagen has only agreed to pay 20% of the repair cost. I buy the best tires rated for ride and noise. Despite that the car rides rough and there is so much wind and road noise that I wear ear plugs during my commute and I will not drive it on long drives.

Love hate relationship
By ronald

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 2009 TDI sportwagon. I love about everything about this car except reliability and that is a show stopper. Virtually every system has had major overhauls except the engine. I guess I have grown spoiled driving about a dozen Toyotas over the years as they are reliable and run forever. Expect to pay the cost of the car for repairs during the first 120K for this model. The least reliable and most expensive to repair automobile I have owned. I will never purchase another VW.

Never again will I buy a VW
By Mark

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Car was okay until 90K miles. The turbo on the diesel grenaded, causing not only all the damage in the turbo, but also the exhaust system (which had been redesigned and you had to buy the newer version). Very expensive repair. Asked VW to help, but there comment was that it was out of warranty, your on your own. The car was three years old at the time. They also made the comment that I had put a lot of miles in a short time. Really, a diesel should be good for 300K+.

At 140K miles, radiator starts leaking, and was replaced. Radiator fan had to be replaced as it liked to run until it ran the battery down. Now one of the glow plugs needs to be replaced, one of the rear window regulators, and the electric steering is humming.

With "dieselgate" now, the car is worth half than prior, and VW seems to be more concerned with saving their hide then customers. They don't even seem to really get it that the chicanery they did really is not justified because superior german engineering could not come up with a solution that was within their price point for producing the car.

great vehicle until 80,000 miles
By Duke M

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

dealership support has always been an issue. I don't trust them to tell me the truth.
After an dealership oil change I left on a long trip. 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere, loud flapping noises from the engine compartment. I inspected and discovered that the underbelly pan was missing bolts. I limped along at 60 miles an hour for another 500 miles to a town that had a VW dealership. I had to pay to have the missing bolts replaced. Local home dealership denied to refund me the cost of the repair.
It appears that it's a myth...Diesel engines are good for 100,000 's of miles.
At 100,000 miles, the repair saga has begun. Do I dump and run or do I take my chances that the worst is behind me?