Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Near-hybrid economy, but fun to drive
By Cornfieldcraig

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I had been driving a 99.5 Jetta TDI with 180k miles before buying this car. It had been quite reliable and is still running well, but I was ready for a new car. Cheapskate that I am, I put $500 down on a 2010 Prius which wasn't yet in the dealerships. I finally had a chance to drive the Prius and was moderately disappointed, so I went 10 minutes down the road and test drove the 2009 Jetta TDI. The driving experience was simply night and day. I expect that the Prius would have been more trouble-free and about the same cost per mile as the Jetta, I just couldn't bring myself to buy the Prius. The new TDI is SO smooth, powerful, quiet, and clean- smelling. I just wish the mpg was better.

Smooth, quiet, powerful, and efficient engine.

Don't really like the V-tex leatherette upholstery. It feels real enough, but it's uncomfortable in warm weather, especially in black/anthracite. There should be options for leather or fabric.

What a GREAT car!!
By RoadKing

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Went from a 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed to this vehicle with NO REGRETS. Wasn't even looking at this vehicle but my wife saw one, we test drove, and bought one that the dealer had coming in. Very lucky too to get VW rebate, low interest financing, and the $1,300 gov't refund. Glad I listened to others and got 6 speed, sunroof, and 17" rims. Added fog lamps and tinted the windows. Car looks great, has typical German Engineering, is a BLAST to drive, and gets great mileage so far (with only 2,500 miles, I'm getting 36 daily city/freeway and got 43 highway on a recent trip). Love all the room in back the wagon creates, its been great for hauling two black labs. I highly recommend this car.

German Engineering, sunroof, radio, mileage.

Power driver's seat.

First Diesel
By WisconsinOutdoors

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first Diesel car. Like anyone who is considering the GAS vs. DIESEL debate we read so many online articles that we eventually got a headache. First Impression - We now have 700 miles on the car and on a 80 mile highway trip I averaged 42 mpg - driving 60-70 mph. Driving 75 or higher mpg dropped slightly. I have not been able to judge the city mileage yet. For anyone that is considering one best advice - test drive one. Great handling, good features, low road noise, and European design. Until I have to fill up I don't even realize I am driving a diesel. If diesel prices stay were they have been for my last three top offs it should pay for itself very quickly. You get what you pay 4

European Handling and Design. Low Road Noise. Great feature is every single button from windows, locks, etc. has lights for night driving.

All power seating.

notified NHTSA.
By jmbcorex

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought 2009 Jetta TDI. At 720 miles had a severe problem with the transmission. In park, with engine running shifted into reverse...trans acted like it was in neutral engine raced, shift indicator lights started blinking, depress brake pedal before starting light came on, and car went into reverse and lurched backwards almost hitting other car...next nite,10pm 50 miles per hour, engine goes into neutral even with gear in drive, gear light blinking brake pedal light on simultaneously.just like ex. above. Almost got rear ended. had car for less than week...now told need a transmission tear down and evaluation of all sensors. I want my car replaced with a new one!!!

I love the tdi jetta and everything about it...EXCEPT...

DSG tranny needs re-engineering as does the dual clutch and flywheel assembly...alternatively VW needs to extend the warranty another 2 years and yet to be determined mileage

reported to nhtsa
By Jmbcorex

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Terrible problems with the transmission...shifted from park to reverse...depress brake pedal light came on, and gear indicator light (prnds) started flashing and car slipped into neutral, but re- engaged...lurched backward and almost hit pasng car...then next night...driving 50 mph in drive...car jumped to neutral, engine raced to redline... gear shift indicator light started flashing and depress brake pedal light before starting light came on...almost got rear-ended by car behind me. Dealer said i have to have transmission torn apart and some type of sensor replaced...done research...found this problem exists, along with flywheel and mechatronic module...sent report to NHTSA...

LOVE THE CAR THOUGH

need more reliable tranny and all associated parts...will ask for replacement vehicle under lemon laws...should not have tranny problems with only 720 miles on odometer