Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Nice power and no problems!
By Steve

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third VW and the best so far. I have been driving my Jetta since July 2008 and haven't experienced any problems. The car has nice power and many features (e.g. power everything, nice stereo) are standard. The only negative is the gas mileage isn't great but not much of a problem for me because I take mass transit to work.

Engine power is nice. I have a manual and the shifting is smooth.

Gas mileage but the Jetta is a 5- cylinder.

Should have bought a Chevy
By VW Jetta

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd attempt at owning a VW. The first one a Fox was less than stellar but I figured a lot of time had gone by so I would give VW another shot. So I traded my Honda Accord for a 08 Jetta 5 cyl. 5 spd. it is a lot more comfortable and the gas econ. is about the same. Now a almost a year into ownership and about 12k on the od. the car has developed an issue its missfired on the 3rd cyl. and ate the coil pack a week later and less than 500 miles it did it again although I wont know if its the same problem until it goes back to the shop. I will be looking into the Lemon Law soon. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR JUNK! I had similar prob. with the first one. Its too bad overall a good car.

Ride room and above all comfort.

build a better engine.

I don't like VWs.
By VW mistake

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Once I get one thing fixed another thing goes wrong. In 6 months I have had to tons of things done. I will not tell anyone else to get any vw. I had an Audi before this Audi is owned by VW what happen VW?

Quick engine response,as fun as a BMW to drive, a/c unit is really good.

Quite down the engine,could be refined,needs a 7 speed transmission. LED tail lights and HID headlights and fuel econ please improve the fuel econ.

A Great Car for an even better price
By Josh

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Wife purchased the Jetta back in 2007. Has accumulated many miles on it since (currently on 45k and running strong). Family trips to the mountains, daily driving, and long work commutes, this car has handled all of it beautifully. Reliability has been amazing and I (the husband) love how it holds 6.5 quarts of oil (though the filter is a pain to change), we can easily run nearly 10k miles on a change with good synthetic oil. Looking at purchasing an Audi now to add to our German family. Highly recommend to anyone: single wanting a sporty car, newly weds looking to expand, or the family looking for a safe and reliable vehicle. This is a truly multi purpose vehicle.

Excellent audio system, great reliability, comfortable interior, and lots of trunk space. What's not to love about a great bang for the buck?

Nothing other than I wish we had purchased the audio controls on the steering wheel. Also, working on the vehicle could possibly be a bit tedious (different placement of parts and access), but *knock on wood* that has yet to happen.

Happy used VW buyer
By Scott

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought the 08 SE on E-bay exactly 1 year ago this week and am thrilled with my purchase. The car was auctioned off after a theft recovery and I was very apprehensive about buying a used car on-line, but have had zero regrets since my purchase. The VW handles great and looks brand new with only 12,400 mi. at purchase. I now have 23K miles and have only had oil change and tire rotations performed by the local dealer. Just wish the SE had full power seats for easier adjustment (not just pwr recline). Consistently getting 21- 24mpg mixed city/hwy and best mileage of 27mpg highway only on trip to Austin,TX without AC on cruising at 65.

Seats are firm,but very comfortable. Seat heater is better than any other car I've owned with very quick heatup. The leatherette cleans easily and to me looks better than real leather. Exterior color is easy to keep looking clean also (Platinum Grey exterior/Antracite interior)

Full power seats as an option on the SE for easier adjustment. A/C could blow colder. Have to run on coldest setting and highest fan speed to cool down.(in hot,humid Houston,TX). Never gets cold enough to turn back down from the coldest setting. I'm still happy with my purchase.