Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I <3 my Jetta
By jsqaured

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this car used in April 2009 with 14k mileage. I've put about 11k on it since then and LOVE the car! I test drove so many cars from Civic, Corolla, Prius and Hyundai. I didn't want a jetta due to reliability concerns - but I decided to test drive one for fun and FUN it was!! This car is solid, I feel very safe and for the same price point as the others, it wasn't a comparison. The other cars felt like cheap plastic compared to this! I have no complaints about it after over a year. Well, gas mileage, but I knew that would be lower and I only put 10k miles/yr tops on my car anyway, so it wasn't a big issue for me.

sunroof, 5 disc changer, heated seats, stability, just about everything!

sunglasses case too small, mileage could be better.

First VW
By First VW

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Love It! Bought it for my wife, but haven't stopped driving it at every opportunity. Fun to drive, fast, comfortable. Only problem is the DSG transmission. Wish I bought the manual. The DSG shifts smoothly but is awkward at a start, and is difficult to start on a hill. It's kind of like driving a manual shift without the benefit of controlling it with a clutch. The dealership says it's received many complaints but "that's the way it's supposed to work". BUT they extended the DSG warranty ;) Bottom line is that there's a problem, they don't know how to fix it, so they extend the warranty to calm the masses. Poor solution. BUT Would definitely buy it again. Most fun car to drive ever!

Turbo! Heated seats! Fit and finish are excellent. Feels like a much more expensive car. Nothing like it for the money.

Dump the DSG tranny. It's the only downside. Power seat on the passenger side would be good. Lose the seat adjustment "knob".

Brakes
By Corey

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW Jetta. I have driven these vehicles for over 10 years now. This one is nice, but the 5 cylinder burns much more than my last 4 cylinder and without much more pep. My real complaint is the brakes, I am at 23,898 miles and about to change the rear brakes, AGAIN, for a cost of around 370 dollars. Coming from vehicles (VW included) that I went almost 50,000 miles on rear brakes this is disturbing to say the least. Still a great car, a few flaws and electronic issues as every Jetta I have owned or known anyone to have owned has had and would still recommend it if they fixed the brakes. Hope this helped.

Quick and handles very well.

Rear brakes first, and as always electrical system.

Love my VDub
By italianbrunette311

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, very safe in the snow. Coming from a sports car to this wasn't very hard because it has so much pep. Bought this car March 2008 and 2 years later I have not had one problem with it.

Heated seats, heated side mirrors, fake leather (real leather is so ugly and is hard to maintain)

Power seats for both driver & passenger. Bigger rims, better mpg. More horsepower.. not exactly the TDI cup edition but come a little closer..

loved my vw jetta se
By bijoupali

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned a 2008 VW jetta se for one year. I absolutely loved it. It's comfortable. It's fun to drive. It's reliable. The interior is very roomy and sexy. The exterior is also pretty. I drove the car in icy weather and it had very good control. The esp in it actually does work and makes it easy to regain control if you do begin to lose control. The only downfall to this car that I can remember is that the mpg isn't nearly as good as VW says it is. It's closer to 24/25 mpg not the 32/33 mpg that they advertise. Overall, it's a great car and worth every Penny. I'm actually about to buy another one, because I absolutely loved it.

I loved the fact that I could move from automatic to stick to sports drive in a second. It had Nice pickup and control. It's also a really pretty, comfortable car. The trunk is huge. The six disc Sirius radio is also a definite plus. Once you go Sirius you don't go back.

This is for VW, in general, they need a much better warranty plan. It's only 50,000 miles/4 years whichever comes first. Which really isn't a great warranty. Also the sunglass case could be bigger, because only small sunglasses fit in it. No other complaints. As I said, I'm about to buy another.