Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

3 year lease end love it/hate it still pt. 1
By vincef329

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have leased my salsa red Jetta SE for almost 3 years now, mileage up to 32,000. I originally wrote the love it/hate it review and want to expand on that. Styling is still modern after 3 years, still a good looking car inside and out. The leatherette still looks great as all other interior components do also, even the carpet. I live in the NE so the carpet sees its fair share of wet and snowy shoes, still cleans up well. No problems with any interior components, all are like new. Exterior paint has chipped considerably, how very sad. Seems only the red paint suffered this as I have "red" about it on the internet. Above the rear license plate the paint has completely come off and rust has

started to perferate the metal. If I had bought this car I would really be mad at VW. VW will have to decide how to deal with this mess. If it wasn't for the paint chipping I would seriously consider keeping this car. Reliability has also suffered slightly since I had a PCU failure at 22000 miles. The dealer where I bought the car couldn't even take the car for a week! I found another dealer that took it right in and still had to wait 5 days to get it back. No loaner from this location and VW did a partial reimbursment for the cost of the rental. No problem with any other mechanical components and ride, brakes, and engine power are just like new. Mileage is directly related to the pressure

produced by my right foot. I am happy and surprised to report that after 3 years, I'm just as thrilled to hop in and drive as I was on day 1, the driving is still great. The only downside is that mushbag of a transmission. Slow and late shifting keeps the capable engine from moving the Jetta a little faster. It's worth noting that the stock tires are worthless in the snow so I would recommend snow tires in the winter. Overall, after 3 years I'm satisfied enough with the Jetta to consider a new one (among other VWs and other makes) in 2 months.

Not a solid car
By Nate Lindner

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Bought this vehicle in hopes for its reliability and gas mileage. This car not only disappointed, but I asked Burnsville Volkswagon to buy it back. It had clutch problems right from the word go. It was in the shop more than it was at home. I almost forgot the color of our car. My wife and I live in MN and traded in her jeep for what we thought was to be a gas improvement since we had two four-wheel drives at home. I would not recommend a jetta to anyone. I put on Bridgestone Blizzack tires to try to improve the terrible winter performance to no avail. You would think a car from Germany could handle some snow. The traction control system is a joke and noise maker. Terrible vehicle.....

The interior is flashy,with some nice features.

Try again, the dual clutch transmission is a joke. You feel like your driving a manual upon takeoff. Better not have any hot coffee around or you will be wearing it, or crash.

Finally, my 2nd good car-another VW
By junquemail

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

1) One serious defect on purchse, broken gear shift. 2) not one problem since. 3) I'm reading about poor gas mileage. Hello???? I get 30-32 on the highway, best I've ever had. 4) Wish it would last forever.

1) premium sound system & satellite radio 2) comfy leather bucket seats. 3) sun roof 4) BIG TRUNK

Had a 2005 Passat (same body style) 1st great car. This is better, no premium gas required, but syn oil is. Redesign please--oil changes should not be $90-100 a pop. Get a syn schedule at $30-40.

A step-up from my American cars
By Brandon

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my first german-engineered car and can easily say that it is far above any other American car that I've owned in terms of build quality and standard features as well as safety features. To be fair, the engine seemed under-whelming compared to say even an old Cavalier Z24 that I used to own. With that said however, acceleration at higher speeds is greater but just wish it had more "punch" from a stop. The interior is well-built and controls intuitive. I read about many complaints regarding the exterior looking too "corolla-ish" in the rear and too "audi-ish" in the front. I actually love the look of the vehicle to the chrome grill to the softer body design.

Heated mirrors - great for our harsh NE Ohio winters Trunk space - You simply can't find this much space on another compact car Build quality and attention to detail - Small things like folding seats, no intruding trunk hinges Traction control standard

Engine design could be improved for more pep Comfort is a bit lacking - Do not like seats curving around the edges and center console is obtrusive Fuel economy - Fuel economy is mediocre for a vehicle manufactured in 2008 Reliability should be top-notch for a vehicle in this price range

Still unsure
By Love it Hate it, too

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The guy who said "love it, hate it" had it right. Love the car, but at 35,000 miles, I've had a LOT of costly warranty work on the transmission and issues with oil consumption that the service writers refuse to talk to me about. Its suspicious but apparently a common problem- Google it. The trans is going to go out again and already has signs of wear a tear.

The interior, sleek style, awesome ride when the trans isn't jerking me around.

New engine and trans design would be a great start. Seems to be a common issue. A few class action lawsuits are already underway for many of the same things I am experiencing.