Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

third times a charm??
By 5peedornospeed

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

my mom has had Jettas as her past two cars (a 1997 with 170,000 and a 2002 currantly with 100000 on it) both cars have never given any problems out of the normal range of expected maintanence so i decided on the 2008 jetta s as my next car. so far im very impressed, i got it with 54000 miles on it and it now has 62000. i have only owned the car a month. the first week i had it i took it from RI, to NC to CO(phish) and back to RI. the car isnt old enough for me to judge reliability but so far everything seems solid and the car seems very well built. i will update this review once i have put some real milage on the car.

the stock stereo is very impressive, solid bass and very clear sound quality. the ride is smooth and the car is extremely comfortable to sit in. the transmition (5 speed manual) shifts smoothly and as with all VW's is very solid. for the cars size and power it gets great gas milage with an average of 34 highway and about 24-27 with city/highway combined. the car is responsive, has great handeling, and excellant pickup. it also has a massive tunk space.

the first day i had the car the rear passengers side door lock actuator stopped working. since the cars systems are all electronic this was a major problem. thankfully the dealership fixed this problem for me free of charge. my only suggestion would be to add the manual lock feature back into the car, this way even if the electronics stop working you can still lock and unlock the doors. getting the actuator replaced would have cost me almost $1000, and in the city i feel that it is important to be able to lock your car. i personaly dont have $1000 floating around to fix a door lock so it would be nice to have a fall back so i could have the time to save up for the repair if need be.

First and last VW for me!
By mallory24

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car was bought for me as a first car and I absolutely loved everything about it. It's super cute, fun to dart in and out of traffic with and it had a great "giddy up" to it.
Within the first year I started having mechanical issues with the car not starting. I took it to my local Firestone and got the battery, starter, alternator, and ignition checked out and I got a green light on everything. The next day I made an appointment with the VW dealership
and they were just as unconcerned and rude as they could be. For almost two months I have been fighting this battle with VW for almost two months and I'm surely getting rid of this car as soon as possible.

Dud Airbags
By jettaistoast

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this car thinking it's safety features were outstanding. Not so much. Icy roads sent me into a guard rail head first then spun around and slammed into my driver's side... at 35-40mph. No steering wheel airbag deployment... No side airbag deployment. The metal in the car crumpled like tin foil and all of it's plastic parts shattered like glass. Two weeks later I recieved a letter in the mail stating the transmission was being recalled and the winshield wiper plastic was cutting into the fuel lines causing them to leak. I purchased this car with cash... I should have gone on vacation instead.

Great look, very comfortable interior.

Airbags must work...period. Tire pressure did not maintain. Transmission shifts very stubborn and violent.

2008 VW Jetta SE Auto
By carnut1973

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2008 Jetta SE (auto) brand new.
My wife was the primary driver on our Jetta and we could not have been more pleased with the Jetta.
In fact, 7 months later I bought a 2007 Jetta GLI for myself.
We considered an Accord Coupe but the Jetta was $3,000 less and had more features.
The car now has over 50,000 miles on it and still has not had any repairs--just regular maintenace...still on original brakes and tires, even.
City driving returned around 22 mpg and highway driving would return up to 35 mpg...usually averaged 32-33 mpg on road trips.
Quiet and comfortable to drive, cavernouse trunk and loaded with features.

Jetta SE (at least in 2008) came with sunroof, 5-spoke alloys, cruise, heated "pleather" seats (which are more durable than real leather), power windows, locks and mirrors, keyless entry, 6-disc in-dash changer, satellite radio, 4-wheel disc brakes, etc. The automatic transmission has manual and sport modes which work well...the manual mode allows you to select whatever gear of the 6 you want and the sport mode will noticeably increase throttle response, hold gears longer before upshift and downshift to lower gears at higher rpm's. Overall, the car works and performs very well and has been reliable as the sun coming up. On top of that, it is a good looking car inside and out.

Only gripe with 2008 Jetta SE: The in-line 5 cylinder engine sounds thrashy but it is very smooth and as stated earlier returns good mileage and decent performance. The 2.0L turbo-charged 4-cylinder engine is noticably more responsive, quieter and smoother.

3 year lease end love it/hate it still pt. 1
By vincef329

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have leased my salsa red Jetta SE for almost 3 years now, mileage up to 32,000. I originally wrote the love it/hate it review and want to expand on that. Styling is still modern after 3 years, still a good looking car inside and out. The leatherette still looks great as all other interior components do also, even the carpet. I live in the NE so the carpet sees its fair share of wet and snowy shoes, still cleans up well. No problems with any interior components, all are like new. Exterior paint has chipped considerably, how very sad. Seems only the red paint suffered this as I have "red" about it on the internet. Above the rear license plate the paint has completely come off and rust has

started to perferate the metal. If I had bought this car I would really be mad at VW. VW will have to decide how to deal with this mess. If it wasn't for the paint chipping I would seriously consider keeping this car. Reliability has also suffered slightly since I had a PCU failure at 22000 miles. The dealer where I bought the car couldn't even take the car for a week! I found another dealer that took it right in and still had to wait 5 days to get it back. No loaner from this location and VW did a partial reimbursment for the cost of the rental. No problem with any other mechanical components and ride, brakes, and engine power are just like new. Mileage is directly related to the pressure

produced by my right foot. I am happy and surprised to report that after 3 years, I'm just as thrilled to hop in and drive as I was on day 1, the driving is still great. The only downside is that mushbag of a transmission. Slow and late shifting keeps the capable engine from moving the Jetta a little faster. It's worth noting that the stock tires are worthless in the snow so I would recommend snow tires in the winter. Overall, after 3 years I'm satisfied enough with the Jetta to consider a new one (among other VWs and other makes) in 2 months.