Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Spewing black smoke from exhaust
By Clark (Hamilton)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just found this site and noticed someone else has the same issue! I assumed my car was a diesel and would emit black smoke so never panicked. It seemed to get worse so I asked the "simple" question at my dealer. They told me bring it in. Should be a simple hose replacement $150ish. 4 hours later. I come back to find my engine completely apart. The mechanic brings me back and shows me scoring on my fuel injectors and tells me my engine is shot! $7,000 estimate from the dealer to rebuild only the top portion of my engine and I only have 130,000 km on it! I intend to take this to the top.

Best car I've owned
By Would buy another!

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car in March of 2006 in Anchorage for touring around the state, and we love this car. In 4 years, we performed the recommended maintenance and put fuel in it, with no issues! Driving around 55-60 mph on the highways around Anchorage, we averaged 47-50 mpg. When we shipped it to Seattle and then drove it back to Texas, we average 48 mpg at 75 mph and then 46 mpg at 80-85 mph (on I-10 through West Texas). I made it from Gilbert, AZ to Fort Stockton, TX on a single tank of fuel driving 80 mph most of the way!

Fuel Economy, DSG transmission, lots of trunk space, full size spare

Full power front seats (which may have been an option) and a better defroster, both of which are minor inconveniences considering I rarely adjust the drivers seat, it is more of the front passengers seat.

Love this car!
By Mark

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car has a great feel on the road. This is my first diesel and German car for that matter and I am sold! So many little features in the interior, I'm amazed at how much thought went into the little things. I still discover new features I never realized were there, years later. I've also never needed to use any fuel additives for the winter and I've never had an issue with Michigan's cold months. At 50,000 miles, all four sets of brake pads still have more than 50% pad left and the pad wear appears even across all 4 wheels. This is a great car, you will never regret the purchase.

Most maintenance is super easy since most things are easily accessible in the engine compartment including the fuel filter. Depending on how I drive the car, I get between 38 and 42 mpg. I can drive this car 90 mph consistently for hours and still get 38 mpg.

The rear decorative cover plate for the exhaust needs to be fastened better. I think I lost mine in a car wash at some point, but actually I'm better off without it as it collected diesel soot and really you can't even tell its missing. Would love to see a 6-speed transmission.

Spewing thick blast exhaust smoke
By PR

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Started before warranty but thought it was typical of diesels. Past warranty real problem of excessive smoke while accelerating and what felt like clutch slipping so that the car would almost not move, very dangerous when departing from stopped position & left turning. Nobody knows anything but it will be thousands to TRY & fix. Very disappointed.

My Jetta TDI experience
By Starsister

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned two VW beetle TDIs and my 2006 new Jetta has simply been the best car I've ever owned. And I've owned them all from BMWs, to Toyotas, you name it. The Jetta diesel has turned out to be wonderful. A mid- sized luxury car that doesn't look like a tunerville trolly (prius) and yet for me averages 43 mpg. Last fill up I got 49 mpg. Highly Recommend everyone get one of these . . comfort, reliability and excellent miles per gallon. Quiet and handles just like a gas car, no smells, no waiting for glow lights, VW's finest engineering. I still have 40% of my brakes left on original set at 106,000 miles and 4 years later.

Tiptronic auto transmission. Can shift into manual for hills, etc.

can't think of any