Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 525 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Isn't necessarily aging gracefully....
By nrlucas

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 1 1/2 years old in 2008 with 10,000 miles to replace my totaled 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. I was over the cost of Mercedes maintenance and the Benz-Chrysler era reliability issues, however almost 5 years later this car has proven equally reliable, and because I can't find a good VW mechanic I'm still stuck with dealer servicing. I have paid every penny for maintenance of what I paid for my Mercedes...only in a car that cost slightly less than half of what the E320 cost brand new. Its very comfortable, drives nice but there are too many odd failures that have happened to me over the years including having to replace the suspension and fuel pump at 55,000 miles

Ride/comfort Compared to other cars in its class it has a very upscale interior. Good paint job (at least on mine) i have the ordinary rock chips and a couple of scratches but otherwise looks every bit as good as new. Feels solid even after 6-7 years and 80,000 miles on it.

The soft touch rubber on the buttons rubs off. Some parts seem over engineered, while others under engineered. Have herd that the timing chains on some of the earlier 2.5 5CYL engines can fail without warning...hoping and praying it doesn't happen to me! Radio has had to be completely reprogrammed multiple times for unknown reasons. Multiple repairs that has started at 55,000 miles and continue coming.

it all depends on the owner
By treezy91

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had my 06 vw jetta for almost two years now and I can say that i am really satisfied with this german machine.
I watched many many reviews on it and I know everything from grille to trunk about the car.
I've read reviews from consumers on here saying that its a money pit but it all depends on the owner of the vehicle. I haven't had to many problems with car and I can honestly say it was well worth the price.
I would recommand knowing a good vw mechanic rather than going to a vw dealer service for price reasons.

the strong 2.5 liter engine with the 6 speed DSG transmission and the well appointed interior

better steering wheel material and Aux input jack for my iphone

Need deep pockets for repair/maintenance.
By norsechild76

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

110K miles on 2006 Jetta TDI, original owner. Had to have both front axles replaced under warranty in 2008. Just had to have the dual mass flywheel replaced and another axle...$2,400.00 out the door. 100k mile maintenance, another $1,200.00.
Headliner is falling down around our ears and has been for several years. Dealer experience is great as long as you are willing to right big checks and not question anything. Very disappointed overall with the value of this vehicle...will NOT buy another. Next car will be a Subaru or Honda.

Mileage is great, but the cost of maintenance and repairs far outstrips any savings.

Improve headliner design/construction, improve dual mass flywheel design/construction and have some sort of remedy readily available for consumers when parts like this do fail.

"...Not worth it."
By hasenpfeffer

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What ever happened to German engineering? This VW Jetta fell apart at 200 K. With a car payment still on the vehicle, I've had to abandon it, a worthless husk.

Mechanics I've consulted since have also spontaneously offered their contempt of this vehicle.

It's not just that the time chain needed repairs as the kilometers go on. It's the whole spread of sudden, systemic mechanical failures -- The waterpump, fans, electrical system, bearings.... I was told at the dealership in a whisper from the guy at the counter: "Don't do what we're recommending. It's not worth it."

Hence the title.

Being a budget minded guy, I'd usually be upset by this. I guess I am. Life's too short. Buy a Focus.

leather seats, the look.

ridiculous amounts of things require special "dealership only" service. Get the stupid "security" key lug off the tires asap. MANY times the manual tells owners not to try a simple repair themselves, but "only a trained service professional..." Crap!

before you buy
By thatguy33

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought my '06 in the summer of '07 with 200 miles on it.
I just rolled over 142,000 but it has been at a hefty price.
If you plan to buy a VW, be prepared to go to the dealer for everything, because everything is specialized and expensive. (my uncle is a mechanic and he wouldn't even change the brakes for me).
Only reason I still have this car is because I'm so upside down in it...

Nice look, comfortable drive...too many expensive problems...

Can't even buy wiper blades because only the dealer sells them (and they are around $45). Special low profile tires only, haven't found anywhere to change those for less than $600 (I pay less for my truck)...A/C has always had an awful odor when engaged...electrical nightmare, I've had it back to the dealer 7 times for the Airbag light and it just came on again...was told the cooling fans were locked up and needed replaced and ($800-$1200 job) but never has the temp. gone above 190...replaced brakes and rotors...($700)...half shaft ($1,100)...this was all before 100,000 MI......little things they don't share when you're buying, lesson learned here.