Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 278 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

"...Not worth it."
By hasenpfeffer

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What ever happened to German engineering? This VW Jetta fell apart at 200 K. With a car payment still on the vehicle, I've had to abandon it, a worthless husk.

Mechanics I've consulted since have also spontaneously offered their contempt of this vehicle.

It's not just that the time chain needed repairs as the kilometers go on. It's the whole spread of sudden, systemic mechanical failures -- The waterpump, fans, electrical system, bearings.... I was told at the dealership in a whisper from the guy at the counter: "Don't do what we're recommending. It's not worth it."

Hence the title.

Being a budget minded guy, I'd usually be upset by this. I guess I am. Life's too short. Buy a Focus.

leather seats, the look.

ridiculous amounts of things require special "dealership only" service. Get the stupid "security" key lug off the tires asap. MANY times the manual tells owners not to try a simple repair themselves, but "only a trained service professional..." Crap!

before you buy
By thatguy33

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought my '06 in the summer of '07 with 200 miles on it.
I just rolled over 142,000 but it has been at a hefty price.
If you plan to buy a VW, be prepared to go to the dealer for everything, because everything is specialized and expensive. (my uncle is a mechanic and he wouldn't even change the brakes for me).
Only reason I still have this car is because I'm so upside down in it...

Nice look, comfortable drive...too many expensive problems...

Can't even buy wiper blades because only the dealer sells them (and they are around $45). Special low profile tires only, haven't found anywhere to change those for less than $600 (I pay less for my truck)...A/C has always had an awful odor when engaged...electrical nightmare, I've had it back to the dealer 7 times for the Airbag light and it just came on again...was told the cooling fans were locked up and needed replaced and ($800-$1200 job) but never has the temp. gone above 190...replaced brakes and rotors...($700)...half shaft ($1,100)...this was all before 100,000 MI......little things they don't share when you're buying, lesson learned here.

On the CR used car to avoid list - Great!
By ppetrie

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car has so many engineering deficiencies, that result in so many expensive repairs just to keep it running, that CR in April 2011, put it on the used car to avoid list. The four areas with 3 to 5 times the incidence of repair for an average vehicle were: Cooling system - Engine cooling fan cassette & related wiring goes out at around 60K to 80K miles $800 to $1,200; A/C system, compressor seizes; Body Hardware failures - window regulators, door latches, trunk latches; and I think, major Fuel System issues.
On my car, it wouldn't hold an on center track - can't be fixed, design flaw, making extended highway travel fatiguing; stalls without warning at idle - problem can't be identified.

Car initially seemed well built. It's a very solid body with little flex over bumps & in cornering. But numerous longevity and reliabilty issues plague this made in Mexico VW, and very early on in it's life, at around 50,000 to 60,000 miles, it becomes a serious liability needing frequent, even repeated expensive repairs to keep it on the road. It is a shockingly poor vehicle in terms of reliability, given that most of today's better vehicles reach 150,000 miles without any major repairs.

Close the Mexico manufacturing plants. The German made VW's like the Golf, seem to do much better as reliable transportation. As for this Jetta, I sold it. That was a great improvement for me, as it became someone elses problem.

NEVER again
By neveragain1209

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had nothing but trouble with this car.
I actually feel badly for the person who bought it after I traded it in.We were a VW family but that has come to an end. 64000 miles in 6 years and the motor was blowing black smoke. Always changed the oil, replaced several major parts. VW didnt care at all-called them and no resolve. Do no buy this car! Junk-wagon. Back to being a Ford family.

build them in Germany again!

Lovin' the Base 2.5 model at 65k.
By love2drive5

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 3 yrs ago, with 30k miles, I got a great price on it ($12k). it has been great around the city, very responsive. the ASR works! my jetta is a 2.5, automatic and 17" wheels. the seats are not very comfortable for long drives (SF to los angeles). I do recommend to get the sun-roof and heated seats, I wish I did now.
I test drove a 2011 jetta SE, it was beautiful, but it did not have the ASR, or the 17" wheels. it did not handle as well as mine. so I will not be trading it in. I have not had and expensive maintenance thank god. but the car does feel less "peppy" with the age. VW was never known for great high mileage cars, so I would recommend this jetta for city people.

the trip-tronic automatic or manual shifting. and the ASR makes the car handle like it's all wheel drive.

seats are not comfortable for more than 3 hours.