Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 522 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Amazingly perfect!!!!
By skateandcreate

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love this car. The torque is phenominal. It's speed is unmatched by many cars in its class. MPG is ridiculous. I average 57.7 mpg on the highway and 38 in the city. It's governed at 114 mph, and although that is a bit disappointing considering the engine; it is plenty really. The suspension is very smooth, and road noise is considerably limited.

It has all the features of its luxurious cousin the Audi A4 to include telescoping steering wheel, fully electric driver-seat positioning, 5-setting heated seats, multi-functin display that shows mpg and etc., sport mode, leather seats, dual climate control for pasenger and driver, 9v outlet on adjustable arm rest, cruise control, speed adjusted volume control that gets louder when traveling over 60mph, and AUX connection, satlleite radio capability, 5 CD disk changer, manual-automatic transmission, heated mirrors, adjustable interior-light intensity, 10-speaker sound system, and volume and station control on steering wheel.

MORE POWER!!!! Although it does very fine stock.

I love this car!
By dlaporte1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic. Here's an update - I totaled the car in February 2015 with 233,000 miles on it. We bought a 2015 Jetta TDI and got caught in the VW scandal. The car is ok, but I would love to have the old car back.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~
what a mistake!

just refused to turn over randomly.
dealer response ~ too bad.
steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy.
dealer response ~ buy a cover....
too expensive to replace and may repeat problem.
Buttons peeled.
First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off.
They're half white now;
even on ones i have never used.
dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem
Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof.
dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem.

MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

I loved that they offered a manual transmission. I like to feel my cars. I loved the lighting on the speedometer, that they've since changed. This was the same as my 03 and my son's 04 wagon from Germany. Great stereo. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Take care of your clients. Why would i by a fourth after my experience with number 3's lack of client care. VW was well aware of the issues. I am going back to BMW & MBZ. I drove MBZ diesels for 15 years prior to these. I still own an F250 Power Stroke diesel and am probably going to go with the BMW 328D wagon. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

German Engineering--seriously?
By steveocda

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have a 2006 TDI. I have replaced the dual mass flywheel because the original failed. That is a very expensive repair and negates a whole lot of good gas mileage savings. I also had to replace the cracked plastic valve cover. The rubber coating on the radio and radio buttons has peeled off and looks horrible. The mechanism on most of the air vents have broken off so they don't move easily. The fuel door lock sticks so the fuel door doesn't close easily.

These kinds of problems simply shouldn't exist on a car at this price point. I haven't seen that kind of poor quality in any other late model I have driven.

It is a stylish and attractive, fun car to drive.

Great Car
By pglauninger

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

TDI... says it all on its own, plenty of torque & power, ive driven just about every car on the market and nothing in this range compares. premium soft touch surfaces premium seats plenty of hidden storage nice attention to detail great on diesel!

fix the cam and DMF so that others stop whining like little babies about it