Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 525 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Could've been great
By Steph

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased with approx 60 000 km and have since put 20k on the car. It has been in the shop about 9 times. Parts replaced: Turbo (3 separate visits); some clutch parts; throttle body (left me stranded); trunk latch; driver door electronics; coolant warning light issues. The dealership knows me by name. I think I got a lemon ... too bad because I like the car & have purchased a few aftermarket items for it (winter tires, roof rack, tail lights, floor mats worth about $2500). Good thing for warranty because repairs would've cost me a fortune. Will be trading it in for a new TDI soon.

Sunroof, handling, heated seats, 1-touch turn signals ... but the best is the mileage. Asked dealership to turn off auto door lock.

Besides what I mentioned above: base stereo even with 10 speakers sucks, no rear cup holder, wipers have a weird cycle.

Makes my drives actually Exciting!!!
By Vonnicht

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had the car since Aug of 2008 and I am very impressed with Volkswagen right now. The build quality is superb, This car not only feels as solid as a rock, it OWNS the road. Handling is amazing I feel like I have superhuman reflexes with how responsive the steering is. I average about 26 MPG with 60 hwy/ 40 cty driving. Another plus with this car is that it requires fewer oil changes, the recommended is every 10,000 miles or 12 months. It does require full synthetic. I researched many other models and makes and you can't beat the level of quality and luxury that Volkswagen has to offer at this price level. I also got mine for 3k less than book, certified.

Handling, Build Quality, Reliability, Fun to Drive Factor

Do not put front license plate on front bumper/grille, it ruins the aesthetic and costs $240 to replace. Volkswagen needs to vastly improve their fuel efficiency for their compact/sub compact lineup

Love my VW
By Love my VW

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my VW used in June of 2008 and have not had any problems. I have an hour long commute to work everyday and was looking for a vehicle that was inexpensive, reliable and good on gas. This car has met all of my needs. Other than bringing the car in for regular maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, etc), I have not had to do anything else. Keep in mind that this car requires synthetic oil.

Gas mileage, blue lights on dashboard, solid feel, quality, spacious trunk space.

None

Problems since Day 1
By Problems since Day 1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my VW jetta 2.5 in September of 2006, it only had 85 miles on it from one dealership to mine. The second day driving I heard the brakes squeaking. So I told the dealership and they checked the breaks saying nothing was wrong. The noise continued and progressively became worse to the point where my brakes were grinding, so they replaced the brakes as a one time good will replacement. Since then the problem has continued and I've had my brakes replaced 4 times, the last time I had to pay 400 dollars later. My brakes still squeak and grind. The car is great except for the constant brake change and gas mileage which goes down once you go over 70 mph.

Great Milage
By Chris

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my 2nd Diesel Jetta. If you are after mileage this is the way to go as long as you can keep up with the service costs. Count on a couple hundred every 5,000 and twice that for the 10,000 mile check-ups. As long as you keep diesel additives in it and use quality diesel there is no concern. Make friends with your service adviser and that car will last for at 200,000 miles not problem. 300,000 is attainable but be much more careful with the service. Once the kids start to get into their teens you do tend to outsize the vehicle. I will probably buy another diesel Jetta next time too.

MILEAGE, MILEAGE,MILEAGE