Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 525 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A Fun Car to Drive,
By cs

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my TDI Brand new had to wait almost 4 months to get it. I have a manual transmission and the only problem I have had with the car is the clutch went out at 13,000 miles. Of course this is a wear item that is only covered for 12,000 miles. After doing some research found out that I was not the only one having this issue. Had to argue with the dealership but finally got them to replace it under warranty. Otherwise great car lots of fun to drive. Great MPG (41/49). The only other complaint is the air conditioning could be better. Does not do well unless car is going over 30 mph. I do get a lot of compliments on the car, almost as many as when we're on the harley.

Heated seats. MPG. Torque, especially when going up a hill.

Better customer service, both from dealership and VWofA. Improve the air conditioning.

Why buy a 325
By Sajohns

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Remarkably quick acceleration and handling for a front wheel drive. 17" wheels and window tint are a necessary upgrade for the value edition. Interior has held up extremely well and I have had no problems with the car so far, but of course it is still under warranty. It does seem to get out of alignment easily, which burns up the tires.

Handling, looks, trunk space, interior room.

Put a aux. input jack on the factory stereo.

80,000 and going strong
By Tom

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have owned this car for 2 1/2 years. I drive over 2 mountain passes nearly weekly with heavy snow in the winter. The car accelerates well, is great in snow, runs as well with 4 adults as it does with one. I am not sure where others get their numbers for MPG, but I consistently get 40+ at average speeds of 60 MPH with an automatic transmission. The only time it gets less is when the air conditioning is on. Prior to purchasing the VW we owned a Honda Accord which was a great car. One very significant difference between the Honda and the VW is how much more it takes to ding the sides of the VW as compared to the Honda. Without a dozen dings, pride of ownership comes much easier.

I like the car's style and the way it handles. The extra power produced by the turbo is great as is the compression that allows me to go down long hills without continually braking. I am 6'2" tall and often drive in comfort for hours without getting out of the car.

Something that would keep snow from building up at the bottom and sides of front windshield.

Perfect car
By 100% Satisfied

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I'm a proud owner of the '06 Jetta and from the moment I drove it off the car lot I've been nothing but in love with it! I recently took in on a road trip and got GREAT gas mileage (30 mpg) it COMFORTABLY seated 3 adults & a baby who's in a car seat. I have nothing bad to say about this car at all! It's 100% amazing!!!

The 6 disc cd changer allows me to carry all my favorites without the distraction of having to swap out discs so often. The seats are so squishy & soft I love them! Plus this is the most fun car to drive EVER!!!

Nothing really... maybe Jetta should give people gas money because you're going to want to drive this car 24/7.

Worst Vehicle Owned
By Kelly

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I drive about 40,000 miles per year, I thought I would get a lot of miles out of the TDI, I currently have 115,000 miles on it and I would never buy another VW Diesel. The maintenance costs are outrageous; timing belt, filters and special oil. I had to replace a head at 103,000 miles, cost $7,000, why, VW could not answer that. I suspect that they used the wrong oil on one of the changes. Make sure you read the maintenance manual about the oil, VW was the only one who serviced my engine, but who is to say they used the correct oil. I'm sure the 2009's are similar. Replaced Belt and routine filters and maintenance @ 80,000 and that cost around $1500.

42 MPG

Needs to be timing chain instead of timing belt so you don't have to replace at certain intervals. Too much maintenance required for this vehicle.