Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

TDI - Great Ride, Great Milage
By Stefano

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Wow what a fun car. It has plenty of power and plenty of range. I am getting about 500+ miles to a tank of diesel # 2 fuel with about a 13 gallon capacity. It starts right up, even on cold mornings. Also, it only needs oil changes every 10,000 miles after the break in period. This car is great.

The heated seats, great range, and how it is so easy to get used to.

My only beef with this car is the dealer installed GPS system. The first one installed in the factory failed within one month of purchase and took me over six months to get it repaired VW service stinks. Don't get the factory installed unit, it's unreliable.

Former BMW Owner Converted Forever...
By Billy Austin

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I can't say enough about how this car has exceeded my expectations. It is better appointed, more comfortable, roomier and far less expensive to maintain than the three previous BMW 325's I owned. I lose only a small amount of performance and handling, but gain an overall hands down winner in value. This car gets almost exactly double the gas mileage 45 mpg vs. 22 mpg overall in the BMW. The repair bills for routine maintenance are a fraction of the insulting BMW bills I paid regularly. I never thought I would be willing to give up the driving experience I enjoyed with BMW. The Jetta is so close but I choose it as my preference with price not being a factor.

I like how this car gets 45 MPG overall and 52 MPG highway regularly driving the speed limit or 5 miles over. It has great German handling, airbags everywhere, and satellite radio and dual automatic climate control standard. It has really comfortable sport seats. Everything is controllable from the steering wheel, cruise, audio, and trip computer.

Please add a power seat option to the front passenger seat. VW currently only offers a disc that must be turned by hand to adjust the seat back. It takes a lot of difficult revolutions to recline the seat and return it to upright. I understand its a safety device as it is safer than a lever

Jetta TDI
By Vincent

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for a year now and have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised with it. Its gas mileage is great, as expected. I get around 42 mpg around town and just completed a 2,000 mile trek where I got nearly 52 mpg! It is surprisingly fun to drive (and quiet) for a diesel. I love it!

The diesel engine.

Provide a stereo with an auxiliary input for MP3 players, etc.

My First VW Purchase
By JettaTDILUVr

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the first VW we have ever owned and I am very pleased with it. My family was in a terrible accident with our Avalon, which ended up saving their lives. To replace it, I decided to get a more economical vehicle, but was looking for one with the highest safety rating and comfort in its class. Thus, I went with the Jetta. Historically, we have been loyal Toyota owners (2 Corollas, 2 Camrys, 1 Avalon, and our current Land Cruiser). I am thrilled with the fuel economy - about 46-48 mpg in town and 50-51 on the highway. I have Pkg. 2, and added every possible option to distinguish it from other Jettas. Although it is only fourteen months old, I've put over 22,000 miles on it with no repairs needed. Just like a Toyota.

I like its nice firm handling. I opted for the manual transmission to attain better gas mileage. The stick shift is fun to drive and it can be surprisingly zippy. I really appreciate the heated, power seats and lumbar. I LOVE the soft purr of the diesel engine. My Mom (Toyota buyer) loves my Jetta and is interested in one!

The clutch throw is too long (a heel-toe movement would be better). The passenger needs to have power seat adjustments. Also in pkg. 2., bring back the burlwood-look dash. It needs a stainless steel exhaust tip cover, a heated steering wheel, activate Bluetooth capability in USA, and add daytime running lights.

Got the Bad One Off the Lot
By Lemon Boy

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased my 2006 Jetta in September 2005. The car spent over 60 days total in the shop until February 2006. It had a fuel injection problem with intermittent loss of power. VW bought it back in January 06. I noticed the new car had more power and drove nicely (except for the clutch was very light and required a little bit more gas pedal.) The shop that services my car checked out everything on my car and said everything is OK. I took it to another dealership and they were amazed that I could drive it because the clutch was not engaging properly. I told them that this car's clutch was exactly like the first one I had and that I was told that this was normal. I drove a new 2007 TDI and it was much better. I traded it in for a Rabbit.

I liked getting 38 mpg. I am sure I could have gotten more if the car didn't have drivetrain issues. Maybe I should have gotten the DSG.

Improve the quality control.