Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 247 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Don't Buy the 2006 Jetta TDI
By Tim Maynard

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my Jetta and it has had a rough idle since about 4,000 miles. I have taken it to the dealer four times in over four months. They have not been able to repair it. The last time they said they were not able to repair it at this time. I filed a lemon law complaint with the BBB, and was denied due to the fact that it was not a serious enough problem. So now I am stuck with a lemon and I can't do anything with it. Talk about a waste of $22,000 dollars. Do yourself a favor, and stay away from the 2006 TDI's. Look at TDI club and search for 2006 rough idle and see all the other unhappy owners.

Fix rough idle problem with the 2006 TDI's and treat your customers better.

Great Commuter Vehicle
By Good agent

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Jetta TDI is a great car for driving long distances in. I drive 60 miles one-way to work and the fuel mileage is great. The car has about 40,000 miles on it now and I have had no problems. The maintenance is a little pricey, but everything else has been outstanding.

It has good power for a diesel. This is a good looking car.

Offer more options on parts availability and dealerships for maintenance.

Great Commuter Car
By Jonesy

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive about 100 miles a day going back and forth to work and the TDI really gets incredible mileage saving me hundreds of dollars each month compared to my full size truck. It has great low end power and just enough top end to pass on the freeway. Interior is comfortable for long trips and your butt gets sore from sitting way before you need to refuel.

I love the heated seats and mirrors, remote trunk unlock, traction control, outstanding mileage, great looks, good handling, and comfort. this car is an overall great buy.

This is a well rounded car with great features for a less expensive small car. Everything has room for improvement, but VW has got a winner here, and I don't think there is much to improve on.

TDI - Great Ride, Great Milage
By Stefano

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Wow what a fun car. It has plenty of power and plenty of range. I am getting about 500+ miles to a tank of diesel # 2 fuel with about a 13 gallon capacity. It starts right up, even on cold mornings. Also, it only needs oil changes every 10,000 miles after the break in period. This car is great.

The heated seats, great range, and how it is so easy to get used to.

My only beef with this car is the dealer installed GPS system. The first one installed in the factory failed within one month of purchase and took me over six months to get it repaired VW service stinks. Don't get the factory installed unit, it's unreliable.

Former BMW Owner Converted Forever...
By Billy Austin

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I can't say enough about how this car has exceeded my expectations. It is better appointed, more comfortable, roomier and far less expensive to maintain than the three previous BMW 325's I owned. I lose only a small amount of performance and handling, but gain an overall hands down winner in value. This car gets almost exactly double the gas mileage 45 mpg vs. 22 mpg overall in the BMW. The repair bills for routine maintenance are a fraction of the insulting BMW bills I paid regularly. I never thought I would be willing to give up the driving experience I enjoyed with BMW. The Jetta is so close but I choose it as my preference with price not being a factor.

I like how this car gets 45 MPG overall and 52 MPG highway regularly driving the speed limit or 5 miles over. It has great German handling, airbags everywhere, and satellite radio and dual automatic climate control standard. It has really comfortable sport seats. Everything is controllable from the steering wheel, cruise, audio, and trip computer.

Please add a power seat option to the front passenger seat. VW currently only offers a disc that must be turned by hand to adjust the seat back. It takes a lot of difficult revolutions to recline the seat and return it to upright. I understand its a safety device as it is safer than a lever