Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Okay Car, But I Would Not Buy Another VW
By 123Blue

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This our third VW. We also have an '01 Beetle and an '04 Passat. I purchased my '05 New Jetta 2.5 in June 2008 w/ 27k miles on it, previously a loaner. Compared to similarly priced cars (Civics, Corollas) the Jetta had a lot more features for the price. Fully loaded with leatherette interior, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, etc. Nice ride, a little sporty, not too fast, but not too slow either. Reliable as far as getting from point A to point B, but way too many problems with the build quality. Faulty trunk latch, auto window stopped working, lightbulb sensor going on and off, sunroof acting funny, buttons peeling, even the gas cap not unlocking. Will not be buying another VW!

Auto headlights, wipers, sunroof, leatherette interior, heated seats, large trunk with hooks for groceries...

Improve on build quality!!! Also, car calls for regular fuel, but seems to run much smoother on mid-grade. Not much of a difference between mid-grade and premium.

Not as good as I thought
By Vdub

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved my Jetta until today. All of sudden, I was stuck in the middle of the road because my car would not go into gear (manual transmission). I have read many complaints on the National Highway and Safety website of other owners complaining of the same problem and VW who will not take responsibility. My warranty was up less than 1000 miles ago. My car has only been driven 50,000 miles. I should not be having problems with it so soon. It is costly to fix and I am very upset. I had planned on upgrading to a Passat in 2 years because I was so happy with the Jetta, but I don't think I will.

heated seats, good sound system and good gas mileage

A reliable car that won't have major problems like the transmission or clutch breaking. A better warranty.

Maintenance expensive, had some trouble
By HighMileage

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I put over 230000 km in 4 years on my Jetta. It did stay remarkably tight. Parts I had to replace include 5 wheel bearings, a dozen headlight bulbs, a new turbo for $2400., a fuel pump for $550., a turbo hose, various front end parts, e-brake cables etc. The fuel mileage is good and you think you are getting ahead but you pay it all back for the $100 oil changes and $300 every 32000km for fuel filters. My other complaint is the electrical systems, had intermittent trouble with headlights and my door lock system. For a while there I thought I owned HERBIE. Lastly, everybody loves the heated seats because a TDI takes 30 minutes of driving to actually heat up. HELLO TOYOTA HERE I COME.

Heated seats, power roof.

Should have a block heater, maintenance is too high, expensive for a sub compact car, forever to heat up! They eat light bulbs, count how many you meet on the road with a light out. It is rather amusing!!!!!!!!!!

My First German Car
By Jetta Fan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought 2.5 Jetta couple of weeks back. Love the car. It's fun to drive. I drove Focus for 5yrs before buying used Jetta. The car had 78k miles, hoping to drive for another 80k. Since I bought it from Ford dealership, the dealer didn't give any warranty on my Jetta. This is a great Winter car. I live in Michigan and this year it's snowing really hard. The car got ABS and traction control. It drives great in snow and slippery roads. The car is small, but heavier than Corolla and Accord. Very Solid !

Dual Climate Zone, Leather trim, Heated Seat, Tiptronic, Sound

Exterior more Corolla like Mileage

Great car... But BEWARE!!!!
By Luftlinea

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this certified pre-owned car with 25,000 miles. Although it was 3 yrs old... It seemed new. Friends and family love this little car. I have gotten many compliments at stop lights. Here are a few problems I have experienced. Some rattling sounds. Have taken it to dealer twice to fix, but panels keep coming loose. Cold start is very load and diesel like... They say its normal. Wiper come on for no reason. There was one occasion where trunk release did not work. Had to replace the gas tank release mechn. Word of advise... I have extended warranty until 74,000 mi. Do not be afraid to take it back to get fixed. Every is great at the dealership. They know me by name.

Interior lights, heated seats, six disc CD changer and large trunk. Friendly staff at dealership. Great support even though some problems keep recurring.

Crap Happens!!! what the hell is that noise during cold starts?