Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 239 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Never go without a warranty
By gunz20

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Our first import car. TDI is great for fuel economy. Problems; we hit 20000 miles & had to replace the fuel filter. Could have been bad diesel fuel, but paid because its suggested to be replaced every 20000 miles. Vehicle now has 64000, no problems since. Trunk lid latch doesn't work in cold weather. Got it replaced under warranty, now it doesn't work again and no warranty to help. Most recent, driver side door electrical harness went out, leaving me with no controls, no way lock car or open up the fuel tank door. VW wants $500 to repair. Dealer said passenger door is going out, another $500. Also, we have replaced several, blown exterior light bulbs, some multiple times.

Gas mileage meets and exceeds what I was expecting.

Better service from VW and to back their product up would be nice. I understand user ware & tear on products, but bad wire harnesses sound like a faulty designed product. Not to mention the $500 to replace a wire harness.

Cheap plastic knobs are pealing
By susan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the heated seats. Thought I would get better gas mileage. Plastic covers over knobs peeling off. Wipers come on without turning them on. Needed new timing belt, this was covered , thank god, very expensive repair. In cold weather, loud rattling noice from muffler area, was checked out, can't fix. Design problem. Right now, trying to decide whether to buy or walk away from lease.

Spunky, fair gas mileage, big trunk.

Wheel covers are cheap. Better covering for knobs, not cheap plastic that melts away.

What now
By crr

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a comfortable, efficient car. I have had no problems at all. It drives great, is comfortable and sporty. I have heated leather seats a sunroof and a great sound system. I also get about 32 mpg. My only concern is finding a 4 wheel drive car that will live up to the Jetta.

heated leather seats

none

Okay Car, But I Would Not Buy Another VW
By 123Blue

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This our third VW. We also have an '01 Beetle and an '04 Passat. I purchased my '05 New Jetta 2.5 in June 2008 w/ 27k miles on it, previously a loaner. Compared to similarly priced cars (Civics, Corollas) the Jetta had a lot more features for the price. Fully loaded with leatherette interior, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, etc. Nice ride, a little sporty, not too fast, but not too slow either. Reliable as far as getting from point A to point B, but way too many problems with the build quality. Faulty trunk latch, auto window stopped working, lightbulb sensor going on and off, sunroof acting funny, buttons peeling, even the gas cap not unlocking. Will not be buying another VW!

Auto headlights, wipers, sunroof, leatherette interior, heated seats, large trunk with hooks for groceries...

Improve on build quality!!! Also, car calls for regular fuel, but seems to run much smoother on mid-grade. Not much of a difference between mid-grade and premium.

Not as good as I thought
By Vdub

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved my Jetta until today. All of sudden, I was stuck in the middle of the road because my car would not go into gear (manual transmission). I have read many complaints on the National Highway and Safety website of other owners complaining of the same problem and VW who will not take responsibility. My warranty was up less than 1000 miles ago. My car has only been driven 50,000 miles. I should not be having problems with it so soon. It is costly to fix and I am very upset. I had planned on upgrading to a Passat in 2 years because I was so happy with the Jetta, but I don't think I will.

heated seats, good sound system and good gas mileage

A reliable car that won't have major problems like the transmission or clutch breaking. A better warranty.