Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Never again!!!
By lslb40

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 2.5L for 3 years now. I have had to replace the timing chain and tensioners once already. 4 months later I had to replace the tensioners again. Thank god my Husband works on VW's cause if you take it to a VW dealer to get fixed your looking at a $2,500 job and that's on the low side. Now my car has an intermittent starting problem which after days and days of research I see that this has been a big problem for this car and several other VW car's. I have talked to a VW mechanic from a local VW dealer and he has said to get rid of the car, especially the 2.5L. He has been a VW mechanic for 35 years. Needless to say. I will never buy a VW again.

Never Again
By douglas23

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2005 2.5 liter with 68k miles and suffered a catastrophic engine failure. What a piece of junk! And no help from Volkwagen America. What a crappy company.........

None

Build a better car and stand behind it!!!!!

Love Hate Relationship
By marson

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have loved my Jetta since I bought it but it seems like too much is going wrong to make it worth keeping. I have had to replace almost 10 sensors on it, adjusters are breaking, and check engine codes are flying out of it like crazy. In the last month I have had to put close to 2,000 into the motor because of problems and there is only 90,000 miles on it. I take very good care of my cars and I have never had to go through this much of a headache with a car. I would never buy a VW again and if I could go back I would buy anything else.

Jetta GLI 2005 1.8 Turbo 20 Valves engine
By ismael_1966

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car from new. Have some problems thats was cover by warranty and others that not since the car does not have warranty any more. The car has around 90,000 kms.
Since new the car gave me a lot of problems with the windows falling inside the doors.
Plagued with Door Locks problems. Radiator fans damage, the fuse box on top of the battery got damage. Brake light switch has damage two times. The engines has some problem to start in the morning, coolant temperature sensor has been replaced 3 times. Rear brakes make awfull noise 1n reverse. The car spend more time in the mechanic than with me. If you get a VW, sell it as soon as the warranty is finish or you will go broke!

I like the perfomance, strong engine and super fast aceleration. Is very fun to drive this car. I love the exterior design

The huge problem of this car is that they make almost all the electric parts with cheap plastic that brake very easy. The plastic fuse box on top of the car batery got melted because of a short circuit from one of the radiator fans. Plastic parts that support the windows brake very easy and the window fall inside the door. Plastic brake switch melted 2 times! If you get on a VW forum like vwvortex.com, you will see a lot of people experience the same problems. Why VW does not monitor does forums in order to hear what people are complaning and this way make does plastic parts better. Belive me, VW nows about all this problems since many customers are complaning about the same problems.

nice car but probably not again
By bnienhau

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought the new 2005 Jetta with the 2006 body style.
I bought it new with about 32000 miles and within about 20000 miles I had to to take in for a tranny problem.
good thing it was under warranty.
I havent had any more problems except for the interior.
Raido is peeling and the handles black paint is peeling.
The cosmetic issues inside are garbage but all in all a good car if that is not a conern.
I have 2 years left on my loan so I hope it lasts cince it now has 100000 miles on it.
Will the car last.
Any suggestions on making it last are welcome.