Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Best Car Ever!
By Anthony

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Best Car Ever
By Kristi

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been going thru the reviews and have seen a lot of bad reviews. I actually love my 2005 New Jetta 2.5 model. I bought it used with 50000 miles in 2009. It now has 150000 miles. Last year I did have some costly repairs but it sure was cheaper than buying a new car. I drive my car for work and I feel confident that it won't leave me stranded and she never had! My Jetta has a chain timing belt, so no issues with the engine. With a rubber timing belt breaks can and do happen on every make and model of vehicles. If you have a rubber belt, check it periodically because they wear.

Overall, I love my car! I love the leatherette material, the heated seats, the rain scenored wipers, the ESP for stability, comfort and good fuel efficiency even today.

Don't Buy!!!
By ssg91

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car for the purpose of getting great MPG. Although you do get good MPG you spend so much more money in maintenance that are you farther behind. My car has 162,000 miles on it. The dealership says the dual mass flywheel is bad, Alternator pulley is bad, Axel, and a few other things. If I would fix everything that the dealership says needs to be fixed I would spend more money than the car is valued at on kelley blue book. If you have this car, sell is as quickly as possible before it turns into a boat anchor.... I am getting a ford fusion.

NOT A RELIABLE CAR!
By saint13

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 Volkswagen jetta GLI. At 65,000 miles, my timing belt snapped and it left me on the side of the highway. Had major costly engine damage. Since then the fabric has been coming off all over the interior of the car. It constantly needs to be in the shop. It worked great but its not reliable due to the fact at 60,000 plus miles its a mechanical nightmare!

Good daily commuter car. Not fun.
By ajt36

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've owned our 2.5L Jetta since new, but I've been driving it since about 44K miles.
Now has 127K.
This is a well-built, full-featured, and generally dependable daily commuter.
New it was $27K and it has some features missing on my wife's $50K 2011 Audi A4.

While it is a good "A to B" car, there is nothing fun or inspiring about this car.
If that is not a priority in your car ownership, then no worries, the interior amenities will more than make up for it.
But if you want something that's fun on the on/off ramps, and inspires confidence when you go to pass, then the 2.5L 5 cyl. is not your engine.
Go with the 2.0 Turbo.
Just regular maintenance, but some inconvenient repairs.
UPDATE 8/7/2017 (since Edmunds asked for one):
I got rid of this car at about 156K last year (maybe, April/May 2016). It was having some form of spark/fuel issue and I ended up donating it to charity. Presumably they figured out what was wrong with it and sold it because they sent me a check for a $1,000. Beside that issue, I had the oil separator valve go bad not to long before that. There is an aftermarket replacement part, but VW has integrated it into the valve cover for some strange reason, so the "dealer" repeater is to replace the valve cover for $300.00. I wasn't playing around with a cheap aftermarket part so (unhappily) paid for the valve cover. The only other two major issues with the car was the one electrical cooling fan for the radiator went bad (which I replaced myself - not terrible difficult). Earlier on its its life (right after warranty expired), the oil pan had been leaking. We kept having it checked and asking dealer to fix it, but they couldn't seem to find the problem until AFTER the warranty expired when it was a $1,000 job. After we complained, they did fix it under warranty "this time." Glad we documented it as a problem with the dealer.

Also now that I think about it, the driver's side fender rusted out underneath and a small patch of rust started on the driver's rocker panel. However, even almost 10 years in, VW covered it under the rust protection warranty. But still, the car did start rusting out when it was pretty well taken care of (waxed at least once or twice a year).

So, overall, it was a very good, but not great car. I've owned other cars that required more non-routine maintenance and others with less, but if I'm going to have oddball problems in a car, it needs to be a fun driver.