Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Unreliable Lemon! VW won't replace!
By Alisha

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

For some buying a VW is great but it has been the worst experience ever for me. This is my first new car and it has broken down four times in six months. The worst part is that VW doesn't know what is wrong. The last time it was in, they just kept replacing things until the code went away. The problem is that the car will work fine, then when you stop and try to go, it won't go anywhere. You give it gas but it acts like it is in neutral. This has happened in the middle of intersections almost causing us to wreck. I told VW and the dealer this, they said they won't replace my car. The VW Customer Care line lacks care and contradicts itself. VW doesn't know how to repair their cars. Note to consumers, read the lemon law carefully!

The style of the Jetta is its best feature. Other than that it is a very unreliable car that the manufacturer doesn't know how to fix. They just state that the car is fixed and try to butter you up in hopes that you don't contact a lawyer. Basically they don't back-up their product.

Actually have a customer care line that cares about the customer and follows through. Also, VW dealers need a service department and technicians that knows how to fix their cars. VW should back-up their product and not put the customer in harm's way by forcing them to continuously take back a faulty car.

Great Car
By Doug

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is lots of fun to drive, especially past all of the fueling stations. I have averaged 43.5 mpg since I purchased my car. My high hileage is 52.5 low mileage is 38.6. This car has a solid build and feels safe at any speed.

The Swiss Army Knife / Machintosh of Cars
By Nelson

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My New 2005 Jetta is great. It has every gadget I could want, except GPS. It is definitely a car made to bond with the driver. This car hugs the road on curves. It never feels unstable. It's as spacious as a midsize sedan. I bought the Pkg. 2 and have everything I ever thought I'd need in a car and more. It has too many clever standard options to mention. I'm 35 years old, and the new body style suits my taste just fine. It's sporty without appearing that I'm trying to hold on too tightly to age 19. I'm so glad I got out of my gas-guzzling SUV for something smarter. Some say it's pricey, but you really get what you pay for. After all, it's a German VW!

The leather interior, passenger and trunk space, dual heated powered seats w/climate control, Pneumatic lumbar adjustments, the adjustment mechanism for the sunroof, rear window screen, pull-down rear seats, and rain-sensing windshield wipers!

The audio system could be improved, there is some rattling in the doors at higher volumes.

My Jetta
By sad to say

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 new in September. Since then, it has been in the shop for 37 days for cooling problems. I am getting rid of it, it can't be fixed. I really do love the car it's a shame.

The whole package is really nice. I especially like the heated seats, coming home features, and lights under the mirror.

The stereo has too much bass.

Nothin' Betta than a Jetta
By Darryl

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car. It handles great and has outstanding acceleration when you need it. It has a very comfortable ride and is very fun to drive.

I like the auto lights and windshield wipers. Set them and forget them.

Give it more horsepower. You really don't need it but comparing to other vehicles like the Honda Accord, imagine this car with those horses!