Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 220 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Don't get a VW
By kdl

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my graduation gift. They replaced the whole brake system, the front end, and the door jam. I hate this car. The seats are stiff. Now the dash cluster is going. What is up? Thought VW was a good car. WRONG. Next one will be a Honda

None

Blow it up

Disgruntled In Denver
By DisgruntledInDenver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my dream car. I bought it used,(certified pre-owned), but it came with no warranty. The car drove great for a year and a half and around the summer of '09 I noticed several little changes in the performance of the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW garage and explained that I was having issues with the acceleration, as well as a ticking noise that came from under the hood while idling. The car was also making a loud whining noise as I accelerated and the engine thermostat light kept coming on. $6500 later and a new transmission, timing belt, water pump and tensioners, the car runs great. My only thought was, $6500, really? This is not a car for young people in college. Expensive!

The interior and exterior of the car is great. It definitely turns heads (even as a 5 year old car) as a drive down the street. VW has really mastered the concept of creature comfort details to the interior. The gas mileage is amazing with this car and holds its own against the newer hybrids.

I guess I'm still stumped as to why a car that is supposed to be the epitome of its model, with all the bugs worked out, at only 70k miles, needs to have such extensive work done. This car should have lasted over 100k (at least) before any of these problems became an issue. Shame on VW!

Jetta is Great! 70K miles and counting!
By Frank

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta seems to be a love/hate car. It looks to me like a lot of people that had the 1.8T models had serious issues. Couldn't be happier with the 2.0 L GLS model. Only complaint is the water pump issue that VW has yet to recall. Common issue: the water pump fins melt off and cause head gasket failure. If you look around, this happens to everyone. Other than that, very few issues in 5 years. Great car for the money and fun to drive!

heated leather, stereo, looks, handling, fun to drive, MPG

address and pay for the water pump failures VW! (replacement part has been corrected) The MAF and O2 sensors also should be covered and seem to be a common issue.

HATE IT
By Mercedes Fan

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I hate this car it's one of the worst investments I have ever made. I would recommend any one to spend the money and do as I did after problem after problem and buy a Mercedes or BMW

none

A better fit and finish through out the car and all of the exterior trim needs to be re worked after three months the trim fell off of the car. so I would not recommend this car to any one

I Miss the Good Ol' Days
By Ally

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alright 2004 Jetta drivers... I see quite a bit of discrepancies in the reviews of this vehicle (or junker, lemon, superb car). Hmmm. Perhaps those of us who (ahem) drive the 2004 V-Dead/V-Dud received a similar factory model. Those rated this Jetta at 9 or 10; consider yourselves "the lucky ones." I owned a 1998 VW Wolfsburg Jetta prior to this 2004 lemon. I loved that 1998 with my heart and soul. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car deemed "totaled." Now I am stuck with this. Wrought with problems between breaks, stalling, adjusters, recalls; heck I am getting a migraine thinking about it.

The radio/CD player. Man I love having a radio scanner on my steering wheel. Even better I receive more stations than any other vehicle owner. Furthermore the CD player reads virtually destroyed Compact Discs.

Don't get me started. VW should revamp the methods they use to construct cars... go back to the good ol' days of the nineties. Hey the cars were more eye-appealing and were of a higher quality.