Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Diesel Jetta
By Vence6

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is a great vehicle. It is fun to drive, incredibly fuel efficiency, and oh yeah it has pick up. It also has a good sound system, rich interior and oh did I mention that it is fun to drive!

IPOD Integration

More rear seat room.

Small problems but great car
By qch2002

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my car in Dec.03 but its a 2004. LOVE the Diesel. Only gripes are, rattling in dash, clutch not robust enough, center armrest is not big enough and hides cup holders, back seat too small for rear facing car seat.

Blue dash lights, sound system, heated front seats, FUEL ECONOMY!!!!

6 speed manual, bigger backseats, center console should be wider, cup holders need to be moved, need another cup holder for rear, trip computer...

Far-From-Pumping
By diesel-nut

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Just hit 25,000 miles and loving every second with this car. Fun to drive, sips the fuel, and plenty of power to spare. I've added a Thule luggage basket, tinted the windows, and added a trailer hitch. This car looks awesome!

Power plant - the 1.9 diesel is fantastic. 45mpg combined city/hwy and plenty of power. Heated seats are real nice too. Monsoon sound system is great - no need to upgrade this unit.

A stiffer suspension would make cornering that much more fun, but then that would take away from the crusing comfort.

Utilitarian Bullet
By 100hp

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

There is no better work car! BEST FEATURE: I can drive in 3rd gear at speeds as low as 15 mph allow many turns without shifting, permitting me to eat while driving in heavy traffic. The handbrake is conveniently positioned for handbrake turns unlike many manufacturers. Sit in the back and experience a hungry growl not heard in the front! The car cleans up in easily too when splattered with mud on the inside. How's it on the freeway? 70 mph is an idle. 90 mph is where is feels right. 110 mph is a little noisy. Pickup on icy terrain is so exceptional that you realize 4-wheel drive is unecessary in northern urban areas.

The sound of the car!!! I drove a bmw 325ci and what a numb experience that is. The Jetta has been sensory engineered to give the right amount of noise and vibration to know what the heck your actually doing while behind the wheel! Young kids would get indoctrinated to VW by the back seat growl.

By 20K miles, need to fork out good wad of cash for oil, filters, etc. Well, this better pay off! There is an annoying crackle from the rear left tweeter.

Just love my Jetta!
By beejay

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I usually just drive to work and back in traffic, and I get excellent mileage. My only complaint is that I can't buy diesel at Costco. I took my first long trip and it really handled those windy, curvy roads securely. My previous car, a Honda Accord, can't compare to this little car. It is so much fun to drive! The only thing I find fault with is the placement of the seatbelt. I'm only 5'3", and it rides above my shoulder, and it almost cuts into my neck.

great handling, large trunk space,