Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Fun, Thrifty, Reliable
By dbenhur

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I live in the hilly contryside of the Oregon coast and my TDI Jetta is a pleasure to own and drive. It is reliable and gets 45-48 mpg on my daily 90 mile commute. It has plenty of pick up and low-end torque and handles great through hills and in wet and light snow. I have never had a problem with it in two years and 50,000 miles of ownership.

I love the tight and smooth build. It is very quiet for small sedan. It has a decent sound system, comfy front seating, and a suprisingly large trunk.

The cup holders stink. Tthe rear seats could use another 1.5 inches of leg room. VW needs to bless some third party synthetic oil so I don't have to fork over $100 10,000 miles to the dealer for an oil change.

Gets the job done
By docta96

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my 10th VW. I bought it as a Certified used car from a dealer rather than a 2006 model since I wanted a factory tape deck. This is my third diesel and is, by far, the best. I spend quite a lot of time in the car and it is does everything well. The Monsoon sound system is great except for poor AM reception that the dealer has been unable to correct. Although I drive the car briskly and primarily non-city, the fuel consumption has been 48 - 49 MPG over the last 7,000 miles. The cruise control, despite less than optimal placement, is dead-on accurate. The car handles well, has excellent brakes and the ESP system works flawlessly. The trunk capacity is good, but the rear seat room is below average.

The TDI-PD engine economy, good handling, nice leather seats, precise handling, ESP, steering wheel adjustability and wheel mounted controls; German feel at at a reasonable price.

Move the cruise control operation to a more user-friendly location, increase fuel capacity, add more rear seat room, and offer the 2.0 liter Passat diesel. Correct the radio problem that seems to be endemic to many Jettas, or in the alternative, execute a recall and advise the dealers on correcting the problem.

Why buy a Honda Hybrid?
By pastoot

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It is truly amazing to me why Americans would buy a Honda Hybrid, which contains a very complicated system (Battery powered/gas powered) engine, has no power on the highway, and hardly reaches 70 mph. The VW diesel engine is known to run 200,000 miles, is very duriable, and has power to maintain highway speeds exceeding 80 mph. My TDI set at 80 mph on the highway, has a tach of a mere 2,500 rpm. It is not even sweating. America, you are missing the boat here. A VW TDI is built both engine- and body-wise to run circles around the hallowed Honda that every one seems to think is God's gift to fuel ecomony. Oh just one more thing, my VW can run on vegetable oil.

My VW TDI fits me like a glove. The gas mileage is awesome, we average at least 40-46 mpg no matter what. I love that fact that I can keep up with the big boys on the freeway. I set the car at 80 mph and it cruises. Plus the car looks very classy and can get me into any country club I want. I love it!

VW needs to advertise this care more! They have a wonderful product. I'd love to do a comercial for them. I have owned five different models. My father has owned 5 different models and my sister 2. My son was involed in a head on crash on the freeway and walked away, without a scratch. Thank you VW.

Poor fuel milage
By Bobbie Holland

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our VW and are very disappointed in the gas milage. The sales sticker on the vehicle stated that it would get 47 mpg highway and 41 city. We only get 34 mpg highway. We have had it to checked three times and they can't seem to find the problem. It seems there are other people that have similiar problems with this make of VW.

It is very comfortable to drive. I would give it 10 stars overall if it wasn't for the milage.

Improve the gas mileage.

Diesel Jetta
By Vence6

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is a great vehicle. It is fun to drive, incredibly fuel efficiency, and oh yeah it has pick up. It also has a good sound system, rich interior and oh did I mention that it is fun to drive!

IPOD Integration