Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 381 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Go get one!
By SEANGO18

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car w / 85000 miles on it, and have loved it ever since. Only problem has been an ignition coil that went out. (coil #2) Pays off to do your own work on these, and buy the Bentley manual. If you have a laptop computer and the VAGCOM software, you're set! These cars can get you in trouble if you treat them like a car from Japan, so be careful. If you want a car to get you from point A to point B without any joy, get a Toyota or Honda. You want to have some fun and be in a very safe car, get one of these. Follow the Maint. schedule, and change that oil every 3-4K with full synthetic, you'll love this car.........just as I do.

Exterior design, ease of controls, and the 17" rims are sweet! Manny transmission and turbo are a blast! Coming up on 116,000 miles and runs like new. Take care of it......it'll take care of you.

Make the center arm rest a bit more solid......which I am sure they have addressed. Other than that........none.

GARBAGE!
By xtr3medriver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my July of 2006. It ran wonderful in the summer but as soon as winter came around it started dying on me. I started to notice every time the temp outside went under 30 degrees, my car wouldn't run. We took it to the mechanics and had the alternator, battery, plugs & wires all replaced. It still would die. Then we took it in and had the whole wire harness replaced, it seemed to work for a few days then started dying again. We've taken it to the dealership and they cant even figure out what the problem is.

the style is wonderful

don't compact everything so much.

This Car SUCKS
By myjettasucks

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for only 9 months and I am already getting rid of it. Jetta's may look cool, but reliability sucks. Since having it I have put nearly $7,000 in repairs. It will run great for a couple of months and then I will have a major problems (i.e. clutch, MAF sensor, ignition coils, MAF again, O2 sensors (yes plural), alternator, and master cylinder to name a few. Displeased doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this car. I am trading it and sticking with a Toyota or Honda.

Fun to drive, good styling

Fix them so they can run for more than 1,000 miles without having to replace something.

An Audi in hiding
By ajl

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For those of you looking for a "drivers" small car, look no further. We bought our Jetta Wagon used with 39k on the odometer. It has been trouble free with about 56k miles as I write this. This car is fun to drive, whether around town or on the highway. Not a sports car, the handling is more then adequate for fun and the ride is firm, but not harsh. This car is basically an Audi (shares a lot with the Audi A4), not an Old Beetle. Parts and service can be pricey,especially if you don't do some things yourself. German cars are fussy about being maintained. If you don't MAINTAIN, you will have to FIX. True of all cars, very true of German makes. Keep that in mind and enjoy your Jetta!

Ride, handling, power from the 1.8T,comfort of the seats and interior. In our wagon version, an all around good car. Lots of versatility, lots of fun.

Fuel economy isn't great (17mpg on premium fuel around town, I live with lots of hills though) interior a bit tight, especially for taller folks, some squeaks and rattles from inside and out. Anything I could suggest has been improved by the new version! (05-up)

Costly
By John

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the car with 13,000 miles. In March 05' At the 50,000 guess what changed the water pump,temp gauge and did the timing belt. Very costly. April 08'at 75,000 miles the check engine light came on. The dealership found 2 faulty spark plug wires and the coils were gone.October 08' at 80,000 miles another timing belt, the water pump wasn't working and had two leaks. November 18, 2008 the EPC light came on. The dealership found 3 codes that could of triggered the EPC. The dealership reset the codes cost $97.00. Now November 19, 2008 the EPC light came back on!. Since I had the car this list is totals about $2,500.00 My wife has a 02' passat same problems. Her EPC light at 85,000 miles.

Peppy, quick car.

04' bad year for the VW's.