Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 381 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great for farfegnugen
By DAS VW Mann

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Last wagon to own before the "cheater" diesels

Is Great When in Working Order...
By Adrienne

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

But it took me too much to keep it in working order. I've mine for two years, and I've put 26,000 miles on it - most of it highway/commute. I've continually had to put an average of $2,000 in mid-range repairs per year of ownership, not counting the $1,200 of work the dealer had to do within the first month of ownership to keep it running. New vac line, new headlights, new bearings, new struts, new fans, air intake valve - off the top of my head. Now it needs a new heater core right as it's getting cold out and I have to trade it in. I'm getting a Honda cause that's what I can afford to keep up with. ** On the other hand, this car has a lot of pep. When I had it running well, the acceleration, power and speed were all there. I can still get it going quite well on the highway. The sound system is still very nice, the seats and seat warmer (driver side) are still comfortable, I can see really well out of it and the mileage isn't terrible (24 mpg from what I tracked). It'd be a great car if i would just keep running and for cheaper.

Fun to drive!
By Danny Wilson

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new from the VW dealership in 2004. I drove it for 120,000 miles and then gave it to my college aged son who has put another 130,000 miles on it. I loved the car and he still loves the car. The car has always been quick and it still runs just as well now with over 250k miles as it did when I drove it off the lot new. We have always used Pennzoil full synthetic oil and have changed it at about 7-9k intervals. At around 200k we changed the timing belt. This has been a really good car. I keep telling my son to put back some $$ for another car as this one is getting some miles on it. I've been telling him that for 3 years now. He doesn't want to trade it, it just is too good of a car, still.

Really Fun To Drive
By MikeR

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this used with about 160k miles about two years ago as a gas saver / daily driver. I was honestly looking for a used Honda Civic / Acura Integra but against my better judgment and the fact that it is almost impossible to find a used (1999-2006) Honda Civic, Integra, RSX that hasn't been abused and molested, a couple VW enthusiast friends talked me into buying an Mk4 1.8t Jetta with a 5 speed manual Trans. It wasn't without distress, I've had German cars in the past and it has never been a good experience. But, with a lot of research and reading, browsing and talking I came to this conclusion: The 2004-2005 AWD 1.8 turbo with the 5/6 speed manual Trans. and a couple of the original equipment parts changed out makes for a Very Solid Vehicle! So.. After a couple of months searching for the perfect set up on a 04-05 GLS / GLI Jetta, I bought a 2004 GLS and went to work immediately. I changed; The Timing Belt, water pump (Metal turbines), cam sensor, fuel pump and filter, Vacuum lines, Coolant Flush with the correct Coolant fill... and lots more. And now, I have a very dependable, very reliable, fast and Extremely Fun to Drive Mk4. This is one car I think I will hold onto, Its rare that you find a car like this, one that you cant wait to get into... I used to own a 98 Integra GSR, I loved that car, I ended up selling it and buying a 02 Mercedes C230 kompressor (Complete Junk) that GSR was one of those cars and I regretted selling it from day one. But not this time, I will keep and drive this Jetta till the Wheels fall off.
Of course, there are those issues a lot of people write about on here, and it is absolutely true, the Arm rest is flimsy, Glove box latch is cheap, Window switches, Radio switches fall off, Head liner is cheap and will slowly fall But all of this is no more than a $20-$40 fix, nothing you cant find on ebay or amazon. It will have nothing to do with whether my car starts in the morning or if its going to drive off from the stop light.
This has been an Incredible Car for me.

Love this car.. BUT!
By Alexander Lester

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 04 Jetta gls 1.8t used with 92k miles on it.
Test driving the car was AWESOME! It was fast, steering was very responsive, and the leather interior and front seats were very comfy!
There is almost NO ROOM in the back seat.. good luck fitting anybody of above average height or weight back there.
The day after purchase I got my first CEL... Failed ignition coil. Immediately went back to the dealership where after a little haggling they replaced it for free.
Three days later, ANOTHER CEL!! ANOTHER IGNITION COIL.. After contacting the dealership again they told me the vehicle had an open recall on it's coils.. they replaced all four coils and threw in a car wash.. Now running like an absolute champ and I feel like a champ knowing the headaches are behind me.. for now!

If you are interested in this car, make sure it has been properly maintained and has had all of it's recalls taken care of. If it has.. BUY IT!!