Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 396 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

LOVE MY 2003.5 GLX VR6!!
By gnaz_jet

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a few reliable & yet boring Toyotas, I decided to go VW, even though I read both favorable & bad reviews. It seems like a lot people have got lemons. But, my Jetta has been outstanding. I'm at 65k mi & have never had a problem. I've only done the standard maintenance, that the dealer recommends & it still drives like it did when it was brand new. It still hauls a--! and has many creature comforts, like a luxury car. To me, it's a luxury sports car & I love every minute that I'm driving it. Of course, I've upgraded the optional 17"s to BBS 18"s & changed out the red tailights to the 2005 GLI smoked ones, to give the 'ol girl a makeover & to keep her happy. She's the Best!!

Body Style, red/blue interior lights, Monsoon stereo is awesome, wood trim, Climatronic A/C unit, heated seats/memory seats, heated side mirrors, cup holders in the 2003.5 GLX have been moved to center console area which is great and everything! I love EVERYTHING about my Jetta. It rocks!

I have none, but my passengers in the back would like more leg room! It's too bad they don't make this model anymore...it's better than any of the new Jettas, including the GLI. They should not have discontinued this one...it's a keeper! I'm looking forward to the next 65k miles!

Overall, love it.....but...
By dihardvdubber

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was my pride and joy until some jerk ran a stop light and put her out of commission. Sad day, indeed. I'd warn anyone against buying used. Can only assume every other moron out there drove the crap out of this car like I did. I mean, if the speedo says 160, shouldn't you make sure it's legit?

Triptronic. Without a doubt. All the fun of a manual shift, but on demand. And the style is hoppin'.

The lack of an armrest got old fast. And the protective coating on interior finishes rubbed off in less than a year. Lastly, the grill is brittle. Hit a bird -- a freaking bird! -- and it cracked.

Excellent, Fast, Reliable, Looks Great
By bryans

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As you can see, I have an 03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic 5-speed I bought with 28k...now has 91k 2.5 years later. I've owned four late model Cadillacs (two DeVilles and two Eldorados). I was so disappointed in the Northstar V8 and the very cheap interior in all of them that I decided I would buy imported only now on. Boy, am I glad I did!!! First of all, the 1.8T is strong, reliable, FAST, and easy to work on and upgrade. The interior is sleek and leather is high quality and durable. Monsoon audio is awesome, but better with a subwoofer. The exterior is very sexy and stylish. The 17" wheels are great, especially with a good set of Z- rated performance tires. Too many good things to list.....

The 1.8T is awesome!!! It's fast stock, but can be upgraded to limitless power numbers with all of the quality aftermarket parts available. With just an ECU reflash from a good tuning company (APR, GIAC, Revo, etc.) the 1.8T jumps another 40- 50hp and 75-100lb/ft torque. How can you complain?

The major complaint I have about this car is the auto/tip transmission. Common problems are bad solenoids, valve bodies, TCU, and a $6700 price. My TIP has held up good so far, though. Stock coil packs are bad and need the revised ones. Minor electrical things (bad blinker switch, LED's on spoiler)

Dont buy unless you love your mechanic!
By H8MYVW

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car certified pre-owned. I have had two prior VWs. I knew parts were pricey, but since I've owned this car, it's been in for a variety of non-maintenance work! The catalytic converter was recalled and VW refused to fix it unless I paid $200 for a diagnostic test. The window brackets failed and the window fell into my door ($300) plus labor. The supposed great Monsoon stereo/CD player fails to work at times. The blinker stalk clicks at random. There is a constant squeaking when I drive over bumps that no mechanic can find the source of. My seat heat also just burned through the leather seats! And this is off the top of my head... just think long and hard before you buy!

Sporty body style. The leather is nice looking. Big trunk and fold down seats. Locking back seat and gas tank access for valet. Blue light radio/gauge display.

More room for backseat passengers. Move the cup holders out of the way of AC/heat vents!

Solid car - but reliability?
By niteflite

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The ride has been solid during my 6+ years of ownership. It's not the world's fastest car, but it's good enough. Fuel efficiency should be better on such a small engine and body, but I guess it weighs a lot. The car has been to the dealer a couple of times for recalls. One was a ridiculous one - the faulty brake light switch prevented me from being able to shift into reverse. Now there's a tech service bulletin that is not a recall - I have a check engine light on for some cooling sensor problem that will cost me some $100 to get replaced. Hopefully that will be it. The brakes are screeching like crazy in the back. When I took it into the mechanic they said it's fine.

black/orange dash, heavy doors, moonroof.

relocate the cupholder, better fuel efficiency