Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 565 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

It is fun car, love it!
By ben

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2003 VW Jetta, to me it is best car for town driving, (for long distance cruising I use my Mercedes 2004 E320 which is the best in this category) Jetta is interesting to drive and FUN to drive and safest in its class, grate interior and exterior, very solid and stable on the road, I would recommend this car for everybody.

Ext.,Int. design, fun to drive,very solid road manners,safety, big windows make the best visibility in any ways, very easy to drive, turning radius, great German engineering!

more reliable some sensors.

Worst Car EVER!
By J.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car! The water pump, pistons, cylinders, locks, windows, suspension, (and the list goes on) have gone OUT on me numerous times!! I go to the mechanic at least 2 times a year, and average spending $400-$500 each trip. I hear a constant LOUD rattling sound when I drive on the freeway, and hear loud squeaking noises when i go over speed bumps, and make wide turns, & no one can fix it! I WOULD NOT recommend this car!

turbo engine is fast!

The cup holders are awful!

Huh...
By cpr8

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, let me start off by saying, this is not my car, it is my brother's, but I have driven it enough. Let's start with performance. When you romp on the gas, wait a second, then you fly, and this thing can! It is so much fun, it feels like you are driving a rocket ship, the steering is so tight. But because of this, the comfort is bad, you feel every little rock, it's horrible. Oh, and don't try to put someone in the back seat. I tried, let's just say it didn't turn out so well, I'm 6'0". The exterior design is also top notch, in my opinion. The interior is also layed out very well, the Tiptronic is pretty nice too. The leather seats are supportive too. The A/C is also ice cold.

Because this car is so light, one, it stays planted in turns, absolutely no body roll, and two, it gets very good fuel economy, I usually manage 21-26 mpg in the city, depends on if I'm having fun or not. On the highway, I usually manage 34. Also, the quality is impressive. Great fold-down seats.

Better marketing. Reliability could use some work, but does good. The back seat is pathetic. For a car this expensive, it should really have power seats. Although I have fallen in love with the car, I would never own it. I'll stick to a Pontiac Bonneville, much better, check it out.

Fun, small wagon
By eapj

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

So far, so good with my '03 1.8T manual wagon. I have had other VWs and wanted a small but sporty wagon and I picked this one up certified pre-owned in September 2006 with 34k miles on it. I have had to replace wear and tear items (brakes, etc.) but I have get to have a mechanical problem with it. Sure, it has quirks (sunroof sometimes opens by itself; cupholders are useless but I don't use them anyway; sometimes te rear hatch doesn't like to open). To me, these are minor annoyances that don't impact my love of the car. I plan to run it into the ground since there aren't any fun, small wagons on the market I like (new Jetta too large). So far, so good at 82k miles.

Engine (1.8T)! Good pick-up; I can pass in 5th gear without downshifting; Good clutch and shifter; size of the car; cargo area in the hatch

Average Car
By Mshort

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago. I wish that i would have researched the engine sizes available, the 2.0 is a weak engine and doesn't get very good gas mileage. I wish that I would have gotten the 1.8T. It comes with the same estimated mpg. The build quality is very good. The styling inside and out is the best i've seen. reliability has been pretty good, sometimes gets flooded. Uses a special synthetic oil that is hard to find and expensive. And at 60,000 yo need you timing belt and water pump replaced. Costs around 800, I got lucky and only payed 450.

Styling, trunk space, bulletproof engine.

Performance, fuel economy, rear leg room.