Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 129 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My Best Car Ever
By pete

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is much peppier than my past 1982 VW Rabbit diesel. I find it responds well in the snow. It has excellent fuel economy. I have short legs and have to leave the seat rather close. I am 5'8'' and my head always hits or knocks off my hat when entering driver’s side. The rear seats are a little tight. The car rides like a much heavier car and if one is not careful, the speed can creep up on you. I find the car runs reasonably well compared to my previous diesels. Overall, in my opinion this is the best car in its class and it seems to hold its value well.

I love diesel engines they just keep on running and you cannot beat the fuel economy. I like the ESP and anti-lock brakes. The heated seats are nice. The air bags are great too. I feel safe in my VW Jetta.

It could use just a little more head room when I enter on the driver's door. If I back up the seat I have room but can't catch the pedals.

Doing It Again
By m&cp

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We love our 2003 Jetta so much that we are giving this one to our teenage daughter and are eagerly awaiting for our new special order 2006 Jetta to arrive. We have had problems with our Jetta but no more so than with any other car or truck that we have owned. We have recommended this car to others we know. It is a great product, and we have been getting terrific service. We can't wait to get our new Jetta this spring.

We love the heated seats since we live in Alaska. this car handles perfectly no matter the driving conditions and has the power and speed you expect.

Add a cup holder and arm rest in the front. This has already been addressed in the 2006 model.

Biodiesel '03 TDI
By Eric J

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought an '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 60,000 miles on it. I drove it home, changed the fuel filter and oil and filled up with 100% ASTM certified biodiesel. Now we get avg. 47 mpg hwy and run on domestically produced renewable fuel! The 177 ft lbs. of torque gives this car all the muscle anyone needs to cruise at 70 and have a good time on the road.

I love the diesel motor, fuel economy, renewable fuel option, stereo, handling, ABS, 4 wheel disk brakes, solid body, lots of airbags, etc..

Get rid of rubberized coating on door handles that wears off, the shifter boot needs to be stronger and more durable, and some plastic doo-dads need to be stronger.

Great Economy car
By firedwg1

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI is very low maintenace and cheap to own. It gets great fuel milage. It is one of the best alternatives to Hybred Engine power! It has penty of power for long high speed driving. It can do 80 - 90 mph up hills. Plus, I can make a round trip to LA - Vegas on one tank of fuel!

Moon Sound System came FREE!

17 inch rims and tinted windows are a must have! They make the car look great!

Now I Know
By Shirley

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this vehicle from a friend who leased it. Couldn't figure out why she was getting rid of a new sharp car. Now I know, it is falling apart. Brake wires underneath car are a hazard. The shocks squeak and It sounds like a transfer truck when you crank it. Grear shift stuckin park now its broke and nothing keeps it from slipping out of gear. Last but not least the air bag light keeps coming on faulty. That has been fixed twice. Not to mention two wrecks and no deployment?