Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 129 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

German Performance and Wfficiency
By Valikyte

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used with 33,000 miles. So far I have not had any major issue and have been very satisfied with the economy. I knew it wasn't a large vehicle when I purchased it, so I can't complain that my 6'2'' figure is somewhat cramped on any trip longer than two hours. I realistically get about 42 mpg highway and 40 city. It is always satisfying to get 500+ miles to a tank and every once in a while put in a tank of biodiesel. My only complaint is that at 38,000 miles it developed a creak in the suspension that only presented itself after I had driven for a while. It did not affect the performance of the suspension, but did annoy me a little.

I like the simplicity of the cruise control and the placement of the radio buttons. The instrument lights are always impressive at night as well.

Nothing they didn't improve upon in the new model.

Love It or Hate It
By adhemar

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After changing the 15 inch rims and tires with 17 inch all season performance Falken tires, this car can corner fast and not miss a beat. It has incredible handling, even without the sport suspension. It could use a little more power, but then again if it had more power God knows if it would stay on the road. I wish would have gotten the GLI VRS or GLS 1.8T. After 4 years though I'm going for the EOS in May 2007.

The handling, sound system, and dashboard.

Replace the cup holder.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
By Barry Denesiuk

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

How can you go wrong with the prices of fuel? I get more than 1,000 km (600 miles) per tank and diesel costs 10% less than gas. I sold my '92 Explorer for an '03 VW and I am making money in the process. This was before prices got crazy, my saving are more now. The car is quality throughout, leather heated seats (great for Canada), heated mirrors, huge huge trunk space for clubs and such. The back seats fold down for even more trunk space. She rides like a dream and seems to be made of a heavier gauge steel than most cars.

The heated seats, once you have 'em you will be spoiled and never go back.

The radio station selection on the steering wheel. It goes to all channels, would only like it to go to the programmed favorite channels. Ice build up in the wheel wells, has to be chipped out or you get a rough ride. This only happens under certain circumstances.

Diesel Delight
By joe in MD

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have purchased nothing but diesel vehicles since about 1993, and this one won't send me back to gas! Despite a few negatives (mostly the flimsy front end spoiler which catches on curbs and has cost me about $100 to fix on 3 occasions) we love this car more every day. 45-50 mpg is the norm, the only drawback being the need to pay about $750 to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles. Its repairs have been minimal--a defect in the wiring harness when we first got it, and replacing the power steering fluid line due to a mechanic's error-- both covered by warranty. It produces none of the smoke that older technology diesels produce. My sole regret is that I didn't buy a Passat TDI in the mid-90s!

After the great gas mileage, the heated leather seats are my favorite feature. They are not as comfy as the seats in our old Mercedes, but they are easily worth the extra charge! It has a nice sound system too.

It needs just a few more inches of leg room in the back seat and a front spoiler that doesn't fall apart when you catch it on a curb!

Have almost 60,000 miles and am still loving it
By traveling nurse

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had my vehicle for over two years and it is a workhorse. I haven't had any trouble finding diesel gas and even thought it is 10 cents a gallon more I get about twice the gas mileage. We took it from Chicago to Niagra Falls and on to New York City on only 1 and 1/2 tanks of gas. It gets a whopping 44 miles per gallon on the open road. We do all our own maintenance but have never had to do anything else. Even the tires have lasted.

The cup holder could be redesigned. Also, it should be raised up as the bumper runs into parking blocks if you aren't careful.