Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 564 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

To many defaults! VW is garbage!
By deesingh84

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I foolishly bought this vehicle in 06'. The sporty black on black look sold me instantly. 30 days after purchasing the jetta the water pump, electrical & sunroof messed up! Ive prob invested over $4k since & counting? Vw is very expensive to fix & just for a side mirror to be replaced at vw was $954! My recall for the sunroof wasnt even accepted! This car has been a nightmare! The sunroof leaks, the waterpump went bad, there is no leg room for back seat passangers & for
Goodness sake why is the cup holders above the radio? I cant see the station nor put in a cd without removing the drinks & water from my cups leak over the radio & into my cash tray. Finding rims to fit is challanging also

Look, leather, interior, car lights up inside: Blue and red. Sporty.

Cup holder, more legroom! Fix electrical problems, lower rates for labor $60+ an hour and parts!

Beauty is only skin deep...
By Jetta Matic

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car used in February 2010. By November of 2010 we had spent $1,800 in repairs on the car. Problems: lunging at startup, rough idle, several heat sensors went bad, light bulbs burning out, fuel pump went out, water pump went out, bad thermostat, poor radio reception, squeaky shocks, horrible waxy/crayon odor inside, AC smelled like vinegar at times, trunk difficult to open, door handles deteriorating.

Peppy, comfortable, fun to drive. Sporty car. Great sounds system.

The only improvement would be to purchase something besides a VW. I will never own another one.

Love at first drive
By vdubluv

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car, powerful, turbo kicks in at low speeds to give you much better performance overall. Little to no turbo lag. And still get 25-32mpgs. I have the sport package with the suspension car handles beautifully. Could not have asked for a better deal.

Heated seats, cruse controls, turbo, CD player controls on steering wheel

Add Spoiler. ( will add myself. )

You'll Have to Pry My Hands Off of It
By Lynn

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car "slightly used" with about 7K miles on it. I absolutely love it. I regularly get over 40 mpg and have gotten a few tanks over 50! One was 55 mpg! It's fun to drive, quick enough and looks good. My wife would have liked a little more interior room and an automatic but I plan to keep driving it a lot longer. Only significant repair has been the timing belt at 100K, as recommended. Fun to cruise along knowing I'm getting 40-50 mpg passing jacked up 4WDs getting single digits!

Air in the summer, heated leather seats in the winter. Love the sun roof too.

The front center armrest covers up the cup holders. A little inconvenient.

My 1st Lemon
By Lemon Owner

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, I've been very dissappointed in my Jetta. I purchased my car 11 months ago, and the transmission broke just before the one year mark. This car has always had problems. It jerks when it shifts gears, and when driven at high speeds on the freeway the car suddenly slows then jumps back up. Annoying lights on dashboard won't go away. Also has a loud clicking noise in turn signal area. Car reeks of crayons in summer. Burns motor oil like crazy. Only good thing about this car is that its great on gas. If you buy a Jetta, its best to buy a new one.

Gas mileage, interior lights, small compact design.

Add arm rests, remove cup holders to different area, make roomier, and fix electrical problems!