Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 356 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

not so fun to push
By NOLONGERAFAN

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was excited to purchase my third VW. I bought it with 31k on it.. By 70k I was stranded in Boston with a blown engine. VW refused to fix it because it was 5k or so over the powertrain warranty. Sludge problems on them are common yet they have no desire to correct any issue with it. Finally they agreed to give me 1k towards fixing it (which as you know if you own a VW dealeship garage prices are insane .. I was quoted a 6k figure to fix the engine ) in addition to the engine brake lights cont to come on and off, the check engine regardless of anything refuses to go away, and electrical system is poor. Its sad to see that a car that had a solid reputation has decreased in quality so much.

the moonroof and gas mileage

sludge issues..durable engines that last longer than 70k miles

VW WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE
By fred

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I beg anyone reading this to please DO NOT ever buy a VW. This car has caused me so much stress. I will go as far as to say it has ruined my life. Buy this car if you want to cough up about $300- $600 every 3 months for repairs. NOTHING is cheap to fix. I have had this car for 5 years & have spent well over $5000 in repairs. You name it, I've replaced it. Its in the shop AGAIN. I am done with this car. I don't care if I lose money I am going to buy a Toyota or Honda this week. I never thought a car could be such a nightmare. VW customer care was a joke so don't even bother trying to contact them about any problems you may have. They may be cute & fun but they are not reliable at all.

None. I have had such a horrible experience with this car that there is nothing good to say. It is a waste of money.

AC that works would be nice, or how about a transmission that lasts longer than 60,000 miles. Interior that doesn't peel. Doors that don't leak water inside the car. There isn't enough space for the rest. This list could go on forever.

Haven't had any major issues
By Ryan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been great to me for 7 years. It's fun to drive, get's great gas mileage and I haven't had any major issues. The ignition coil recall several years back was a a bit of a pain (all Jettas and Audi A4s), but they fixed it free and quick. I did have to replace hoses a couple years ago and have had my share of flat tires due to city driving and performance tires, but no real complaints.

The turbo engine, the heated seats, and the surprisingly large trunk

I don't like the way the seats adjust. Sometimes the sunroof has trouble staying closed and I have to mess with it.

Worst car I ever owned
By upchuda

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you value you wallet, don't purchase this car! I bought this "certified pre-owned car from Osborne Automotive on Colfax. Every piece of the car has had to be replaced including the coolant tank, transmission, gas tank etc. I am so upside in what I owe compared to the $7,437.23 that I have put in it in the last 3 years that I will be paying for the car long after it's dead.

VW needs to stop making plastic parts that break!

sell @ 90000 miles
By john

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our Jetta was great until it reached 90,000 miles. The first thing that happened was the check engine light came on. After unsuccessful 3 tries by VW to correct the problem (average $300 repair each time) the light remained on. At 92,000 the generator went out (cost $850). You would have thought it was made of gold or something. That depleted my savings of which I was going to replace the timing belt/water pump (recommended @ 100k) @ $900 and the front stablizer mounts @$250, but instead I sold it. It was a great vehicle until 90k when it began to eat us out of house and home.

Do not design a vehicle that quits @ 90k miles