Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 494 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

under rated TDI
By Huggybear

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I consistently get 48-50 mph highway milage at a steady 70mph. It should be written about more as a superb vehicle, worth every penny!

Piece of Crap
By CB

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife & i bought this car with 45k, from day one, the car has been a piece of crap. the car died 7 days after we bought it. after that the mechanical problems, engine light on. for some reason the passenger door won't open unless its from the outside, the trunk release dont work. the engine lights stays on. catalytic converter replaced light still on, new engine mount. engine light still on. engine rumbles the car shakes more than a rattle snake. car in the shop now, needs new wheel bearing, complete tune up $1200. 4 time this year car been fixed. car needs oil change every 1500 miles. right side speakers blew up. Never again will buy a VW. They are worthless.

good in snow with really good winter tires.

EVERYTHING

Don't Listen to the NaySayers
By turboDan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

In all honesty, I'm surprised. Being a Chevy fan all my life, we bought this car primarily for my wife and I'm actually jealous. Like every other vehicle I've owned, there are it's problems but the dealer has satisfied our every repair and maintenance need and more. Vacuum lines went at 90k and our water pump just went out at 120k. We bought it with 68k. I've done almost all the maintenance myself without difficulty. The engine is super strong for it's size (zips past most vehicles on the freeway) and it's just perfect for a small family like ours. Gas mileage can suffer if you like the gas pedal like me, but we still average 24 mpg. I still have a Chevy, but my next car will be a VW.

Love the heated seats come winter-- handles great in the snow too with the right all-season tires. The engine is immaculate anywhere you go. The factory stereo pounds. To the Germans, I'm sold.

Tiptronic Transmission really isn't useful. The manual shift mode is electronically faulty and really not all the exhilarating or efficient-- it's easier to let the automatic just do it's job (besides, it's rather pricey to get it replaced). 2011 jetta adds more rear legroom--much needed legroom.

Horrible Reliability
By upchuda

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I bought this car used from Osborne Automotive in Lakewood, CO. This is the worst car I have ever owned. The parts are all plastic, and I have pretty much replaced every part of the engine, including the water pumps. Once the car reached 120,000 miles, the transmission went out and I was quoted between $4,600 - $6,100 to replace it with a refurbished transmission. The car has just been sitting in my garage and I bought a Toyota Camry. Selling it for parts.

Nice body. Fun to drive when works.

Use metal parts and improve the transmission! I have met 4 other Jetta owners whose transmission went out around 100,000 miles!

It's Never Gonna Die
By knoxgrassdealer

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 1.8t 4dr in early march with 100,000 miles, and I've put it through the works. I'm 19 year old so I'm not the slowest driver, the second day i had it i crashed the hell out of it. I'm not sure how but the air bags didn't deploy, and i was able to drive away with ease. I had to replace many parts including doors, windows, wires. Very easy work considering the dept of it. Since, I've put over 8,000 miles on it and my girl friend had smashed more windows out lol. But overall whenever i get more money I'm definitely gonna consider buying another one. Excellent performance, Decent fuel economy, Kinda small, Big trunk! ;) Great car..

Outside looks, Sound system, Performance, 17 inch Alloys, Trunk.

None, Nothing but excellence.. I love this car. Much better than the LHS, 2 CAMRY's,AND THE PROTEGE.