Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 356 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

It's Never Gonna Die
By knoxgrassdealer

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 1.8t 4dr in early march with 100,000 miles, and I've put it through the works. I'm 19 year old so I'm not the slowest driver, the second day i had it i crashed the hell out of it. I'm not sure how but the air bags didn't deploy, and i was able to drive away with ease. I had to replace many parts including doors, windows, wires. Very easy work considering the dept of it. Since, I've put over 8,000 miles on it and my girl friend had smashed more windows out lol. But overall whenever i get more money I'm definitely gonna consider buying another one. Excellent performance, Decent fuel economy, Kinda small, Big trunk! ;) Great car..

Outside looks, Sound system, Performance, 17 inch Alloys, Trunk.

None, Nothing but excellence.. I love this car. Much better than the LHS, 2 CAMRY's,AND THE PROTEGE.

Do your research
By Jmr

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This jetta has been my dream car for forever, until I purchased it. A month after I bought it would no longer run due to transmission problems. I took it back to the dealer and demanded they fix it, which they did. In the past year I have replaced 2 mass air flow sensors, the main computer for the car, countless other sensors and recently the fuel pump. If you are interested in a VW you better do some research to make sure it's a good fit for you. Jetta's are cute and fun to drive, but if you get a bad one it's going to be a money pit. Also, they are expensive to maintain, my oil changes cost around $70. Make sure you are prepared for all the comes with being a VW owner before you get one!

It's really cute, and lots of fun to drive.I also like the tiptronic transmission, even though it can cause tons of problems!

There is really not enough space, the inside of the car is very small, so if you're a tall guy I would think twice about it. Also it seems like this year had a lot of kinks that were never worked out, which can make it a difficult car to own.

worst car i ever had
By chicagodriver

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Despite all the great reviews, this car has problem after problem. First, heated seats started on fire--at dealership for over a week with no compensation from VW for burned jacket and pants.Interior cheap and falling apart. Constant engine trouble-now with only 70000 miles, the engine needs to be replaced. I have had all maintenance done on time and disgusted with this expensive, money draining piece of junk. DO NOT BUY

STOP!
By STOP!

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car! My engine light is the only electronic item that works, it's always on. Radio, door locks, windows headlights, only work when they want to. You almost have to bring it into the shop for everything because you need a special tool to do anything on the car. I will never buy another VW again! I wouldn't even feel comfortable giving this car to a friend.

Well, it is a nice color.

Yeah, VW could stand behind this car a little more. They are well aware of the issues that this car has and refuse to address them at all.

Beautiful Rubbish
By vwrider

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am very mixed about this car. It was a zippy, fun to drive car and the experiences it gave me made the money spent worthwhile. But the money spent was A LOT of money!!! EVERYTHING breaks on this car, from knobs on the stereo, to the coolant expansion tank to the muffler mounting bolts, to the window actuators. It's very expensive to repair and you must get aftermarket upgrades if you want the repairs to last, OEM parts just fall apart in equal amount of time. The engine and tranny will last forever but before long everything else in the car will have been swapped out. If you have a love for VW and some money to spare, get this car, otherwise stay far away from it!

Butt-warmers! LOUD stereo. Acceleration. Leather seats and their quality. Fold-flat rear seats. Trunk space. Butt-warmers! Sharp brakes. Ease of modification. Butt-warmers!

Stop using cheap plastic stuff! Who on Earth uses a plastic impeller on the water pump! Anything not metal on this car breaks, stop using cheap plastics and nylon composites and get back to Nice sturdy metals already! Fix the friggin ignition coils! Drop timing belt prices, $1000 is absurd!