Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 396 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Not really worth it.
By bj789

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned my Jetta for almost 3 years.
It was initially fun, but as I put miles on the car the check engine light became a familiar occurrence.
Took it to independent mechanics to save a little on repairs but it seemed like I'd leave just to have another issue crop up.
Started taking it to the local dealer so of course I paid through the nose for repairs (like all German cars).
While not quite as expensive as my Mercedes to maintain, it still felt weird paying a premium for maintenance on a non-luxury badge.
There were the enjoyable times with the car, it was loaded with great features and it was quiet and quick.
But in the end, the bad outweighed the good.

Heated leather seats, enormous moon roof, low end torque thanks to the turbo. Handled well enough for a FWD car. Manual transmission was decent. The ride on the highway was smooth, quiet and I'd find myself cruising at 85 feeling like it was closer to 60. Cabin lighting at night was very cool looking. Sound system was nice for stock - 8 speakers back in '01 was nice.

Reliability. On average the check engine light would come on 4 times a year and every time meant a trip to the mechanic / dealer. Sometimes the problem would be so significant the engine would hardly get me to the shop - sputtering and dying if the RPM's dropped below 1750. Interior build quality - the plastics were coated with a soft-touch coating from the factory that peeled off even under gentle use (I baby my cars) and made the interior age prematurely. The leather developed discoloration in frequent use areas as well.

Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi.
Averaging 31 mpg.
Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack.
Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph.
Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel.
Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only).
Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it.
Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

Reliable drive train, no breakdowns, most expensive maintenance/repair was timing belt & water pump replacement, great versatility with interior space, good ergonomics and long-distance comfort, nice sounding stereo. I still like my ride and haven't been able to make up my mind for spending $30k for a new car when this one is meeting my needs, is still fun to drive, and costs me little to keep on the road compared to depreciation on a new car.

Had needed 6th gear, unacceptable oil consumption, 115 bhp is the king of underpowered (although the manual tranny makes it a bit more peppy than you expect).

Do not buy!
By ns_sanchez

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchase this vehicle pre owned for my wife at the time it had 70 thousand miles and was doing good until we hit 90 thousand. The car has been worked on multiple time and is mostly electrical issues. The car is very low and my wife knocked off the bumper twice just be aware of that also. I have changed out the alternator twice on this vehicle as well. This car is a costly vehicle and I would not recommend this car to any one. The space in this car is small and I honestly never felt comfotable driving it. In the future I will avoid anything VW.

Selling it!

Improve space, electrical issue, radio issue and trunk space.

please beware
By luigi123

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i purchased a 2001 jetta gls 2.0 and this has been the worst car i have purchased. do not get stuck in the vw trap. a week after buying it with 98000 miles the transmission started tweaking and is costing me roughly 2900 just to replace without the fact that its starting to get a lifter tick that was estimated $1200. it is a money sucking trap. the interior is nice but material is junk. electric problems are guaranteed lol... ive never driven a car that runs at 4000 rpms on the highway.. that is insane dumb.. i am selling as is or taking it to the junkyard and buying myself a reliable honda!

perfect size to drive in town. great sound system

more reliability without high priced parts and repairs

A True REVIEW
By lovemyjetta4

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just Bought My 2001 Volkswagen Jetta VR6 GLX it has 173,000 miles, usually this many miles will scare a typical buyer away. this car has been nothing but reliable, it does have a little sputter problem but im willing to fix this car. I came from a Saturn L200 and it was way more expensive than this car to fix (MOST PARTS)

When most people buy a Volkswagen or ANY import for this matter, they think they can run the crap out of it and not have to repair it. Germans are GENIUS Engineers and this is my 3rd Jetta since 18 and im sorry, but NOTHING beats a VW. they do have issues but ALL cars do, usually anyone complains when they have to spend money. for any new buyer dont be afraid of VW's

--Heated leather seats --Sunroof --Reliability --POWER --Stock speakers are pretty amazing --Little, Luxurious, Yet Sporty and Fun

--Better Strut Mounts --Centercaps peel easily