Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 327 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A True REVIEW
By lovemyjetta4

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just Bought My 2001 Volkswagen Jetta VR6 GLX it has 173,000 miles, usually this many miles will scare a typical buyer away. this car has been nothing but reliable, it does have a little sputter problem but im willing to fix this car. I came from a Saturn L200 and it was way more expensive than this car to fix (MOST PARTS)

When most people buy a Volkswagen or ANY import for this matter, they think they can run the crap out of it and not have to repair it. Germans are GENIUS Engineers and this is my 3rd Jetta since 18 and im sorry, but NOTHING beats a VW. they do have issues but ALL cars do, usually anyone complains when they have to spend money. for any new buyer dont be afraid of VW's

--Heated leather seats --Sunroof --Reliability --POWER --Stock speakers are pretty amazing --Little, Luxurious, Yet Sporty and Fun

--Better Strut Mounts --Centercaps peel easily

Don't get sucked in!
By mikehs2

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Do not, I repeat DO NOT! Buy this vehicle used. If you own one now, dump it before you hit 90,000 miles. It will have all the serious problems that everyone else mentions. Especially the screwed up rear mounted timing chain that requires the transmission to be removed for this otherwise simple repair on a "Normal" car. This car is junk!

It's a very average car.

Crush it!

The real review on a jetta
By jarren1

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Germans use nothing but quality when it comes to
their cars. VW are a well designed machine you have to do regular maintenance. I had my jetta for well over a year and a half No problems. I even went to basic and ait, the car sat for 8 mnths. got back jumped the battery and she was still in good condition. Oh and when it come to quality. They took the time have the mirrors self adjust when u put the car in reverse, a safe fail feature on ur windows if anything obstucts the window from going up. Not to mention i got stuck in the snow and no choce but to floor it at over 8,000 rpms for over 5 mins to get free. It makes me mad when someone talks down on a perfectly good car. The jetta is a Go.

The only complaint i have on this jetta is that the MK3 vr6 came with a turbo and the MK4 GLX doesnt.

I know you might love it, but please DON'T buy it!!!
By tsheanance

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Dear potential buyer of a VW Jetta,
I have a 2001 VR6 GLX. I absolutely loved the looks of it, but almost as soon as it 100k miles, the car has started to fall to pieces! Everyday it's like a part is needed to be repaired. In my car I have replaced the serpentine belt, air pump, back break light...my radiator is still leaking coolant and I need a transmission control module chip ($950) since it shifts hard into third gear. The bumper is WAY too low to the ground and I actually broke it off twice (once at Petsmart parking lot...talk about embarrassing). Also, the car is cheap on the inside. The radio button is currently unraveling. You touch it, it breaks. LESSON LEARNED.

Beautiful leather seats, no blind spots, exterior design, large trunk and monsoon sound system are a plus!

A better transmission, plastic volume button needed, get rid of the crayon smell, and make the bumper more durable/higher up in the air.

I love this Car
By VR6BeautifulCAR

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the 2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6 for a year now. This car is quick, comfortable and fun to drive. The only things I have replaced is a camshaft position sensor and since VW's are known to have problems with the coilpacks I converted the coilpack over to a GM Style MSD pack (this conversion can only be done on the VR6). I really don't why people give this car gets poor reviews I have been good to this car with regular maintenance and in turn it has been good to me. Also keep in mind this is a VR6 which means if you are looking for a car with good gas mileage you better look else where. VR6 means POWER not ECONOMIC!!

Love the Power, Leather, Heated Seats, sunroof, Sunshade, Monsoon sound system, Spacious trunk, 18" stock wheels.

Glove box handle can break easily, Cup holders are in weird spot above the CD player, and VW needs to make better coilpacks.