Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 397 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Lemon
By djjunglejulie

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Owning this car was a nightmare! Do not buy unless you are a mechanic who enjoys repairing your car!!

Words that come to mind are:
Lemon
Money pit
ludicrous amounts
of repairs
broken down
overheating
electrical problems
just bad

When it was working, I have to admit that the turbo button makes it a fun car to drive. And the speakers sound good. That being said, I believe the inherent electrical problems in the car are the reason every CD player that was installed ended up dying.

This car is a piece of junk disguised by a cute exterior. Don't be fooled by looks and brand name. Run!!

Loved it
By kristikrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sad to say I totalled my wagon last week.
This was a very functional and reliable car for me.
I haul lots of stuff to work every day, so it was great for the space factor although removing head rests to lay seats flat was a bit cumbersome.
I received the car at 70,000 from and rode it to like 117 in 2.5 years.
In that time I changed the impeller (seems common) on the coolant system and the front bumper shield thing rides a bit low to the ground so it was dragging and held up by duct tape in its last few months.
The brakes were great, and I didn't mind the cup holders either way.
This car saved my life in my accident where I hit the cement wall on the freeway, so I'm 4eva grateful.

Roof racks were nice for my kayak travels. Leather seats easy to clean. Purple dash lights were pretty awesome. Smooth, efficient brakes. Great cargo space. Solid construction.

oil did get used up fast (saw in another post too). Removing headrests to lay seats flat. Turnstyle knobs for seat adjustment (good luck if you have arthritis). Little vw caps on center of tires come off easily. All rather minor things that are not dealbreakers, no car is perfect.

Can't get a better Drivers' car for the money.
By matthew32

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Have owned this car for about three years. It had 94k mi when I bought it and now has 118k. Have done a lot of repairs, but not any more than for the multitude of 100+ k mi vehicles I have owned in the past.
The car came with service records and is in excellent condition for the age and mileage. I have done brakes, alternator, clutch, suspension, front susp bushings and ball joints. Unexpected repairs were: Fan Control Module, PS Pressure hose, timing chain.
The TC broke at 117K, causing damage to 5 valves and an injector. Cost of repairs were around $4500, but still worth it considering that I have a 12 yr old car with 118k mi that looks, runs and drives like a new car.

180 hp may not sound like much, but VW has always been good at making the most of it - This car is no exception - It accelerates fast enough to be considered a bona fide sport sedan and I have outpaced an early 2000s Mustang GT on a hill. The sport suspension on the GLX (Now have KYB OE replacements) allows for very precise handling that belies the car's status as a humble sedan, while still being well composed on rough roads. The short wheelbase makes parallel parking and maneuvering in tight spaces a breeze, and I can often squeeze past traffic to make RH turns, along with the motorcycles!

I could complain about the crappy cupholders or broken latch on the armrest cubby, or the fact that describing the exterior styling as 'bland' is perhaps too kind. A lot of people do. However, in my opinion, VW designed a good car for people who value performance above all else. If you're more interested in having a cupholder for your Big Gulp, or you like to cheap out on maintenance, go buy a Toyota and stop giving VW a bad name.

awesome car
By dbanda51

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my 2nd vw. i had a 99.5 jetta 2.0 as my 1st car and loved it except for it was to slow.great on gas though. i later got a bmw 323i and kind of liked it but not as much as the jetta so i got rid of it. and finally found the 01 jetta Wolfsburg. it had everything i needed, 5 speed, sport seats, turbo, 4cyl (for great mpg).i have owned it for about a year and a half.has never let me down.previous owner kept everything tight and said he never got check engine light, as of today i haven't either. i have also added coilovers, APR tune (making 215hp!), forge dv valve (makes the psshh sound), 17' rims, and a Nav system, i have put about 20k miles on it without a prob. this car is awesome!!!

Sport seats, turbo, sport suspension (it was fine but i wanted low so i got coilovers), speakers are better then most cars, 5 speed is awesome wish it had 6 speeds though,

get coilovers!, the jetta is way to high!. once lowerd it looks twice as good!, get an APR chip tune it will take you up to 215hp!! get a diff diverter valve to make the turbo sound cool!, and if your rims start to peel get new ones otherwise your good.

Satisfied and Secure Jetta Owner
By nywvblue

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car from its original owner, a retired couple, with 75,000 miles on it and at 6 years old. It had some strange wear in the interior (the arm rests on the doors in the front were half peeled away), but otherwise it was in perfect condition. It lived with me in NYC for the next 2+ years and, aside from a nagging CEL situation due to the MAF sensor failing every 8 months or so as well the mechanism in one side window suddenly failing, it has been a super, reliable car.

The fold-down rear seats are a brilliant design feature and have come in handy too many times to count! The heated car seats are superb (especially appreciated since moving to the country's snowiest city). The sun roof makes it feel like a convertible on nice days. Excellent speaker system, good radio. I like that the car's chassis feels very well-built and solid -- in rough weather, I have never worried for the soundness of the car itself.

The car's pickup feels challenged at times (a chronic rough shift between 2nd and 3rd) but handles highway driving beautifully. The faulty MAF sensor issue is, I'm told, somewhat typical of Jettas -- I'm proud to say that I've learned to change mine myself and have done so a half dozen times by now, saving myself a ton of money! The seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips. The rear bumper is inefficient and cannot handle much (so I attached rubber strips which saved it from further scrapes).