Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 397 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Bad Car
By Brian Drown

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car in Aug of 2004 and have had it now for about 7 months. The car has been in and out of the shop about 10 times and for the most serious replacing the engine. It was a certified vehicle and everything was taken care of but I have missed so much work because of this car I would not suggest the Jetta to anyone looking to buy a car!!!!

None. The car doesn't even have a cd player its a 2001 no one has bought anything but cd's since the mid 90's, I mean come on now.

Quality and reliablity...the car has neither!!

good riddance!
By disgruntled_vw_owner

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Finally got rid of my jetta last month. This car has caused me so much grief (and money) during the 4 yrs I owned it. VW replaced the mass airflow sensor after the car died on the highway while I was 8 months pregnant. A few months later the same thing happened so the sensor was replaced again. The car stalls after pulling from parking (cold start) everyday, and VW couldn't figure out how to fix it. The check engine light goes on all the time, after multiple trips back to VW they still couldn't fix it. The replacement parts cost so much too for something that was assembled in Mexico. The rubber material by the door peels and looks disgusting. Will never buy a VW vehicle again ever.

dashboard light looks cool, exterior overall design is clean

nothing really -- this car is hopeless and way overpriced

Avoid this car BAD QUALITY
By BRISKI101

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Here are the things you will face. 1) Glow Plug Module - Been through 3 2) Armrest latch - On my third 3) Window Clip - Both were replaced when window fell inside door. Some people actually have had theirs break. Recalled I believed. 4) Hazard flasher - 2nd one The interior is cheap and things fail like crazy. The dealer knows but says - Hey what do you expect you have 70000 miles? Frustrating. It is sad because the car performs well and the mileage is great. At least I bought and extended warranty. But be aware the timing belt change that is required at 60000 cost me $1500 dollars...and took a week. AVOID VW at all costs

The drive is tight and responsive

Build the car without the Yugo quality?

Great Little Car
By Jen

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been the funnest car I have ever owned. I would highly recommend it. I have had very few problems and tons of compliments!

The turbo makes it really fast.

I hate the knob to adjust the seats. Also, the drink holder is in a poor place.

I got a great one!!
By Eigermoon

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like other reviewers, I had a window clip break so that I could not roll up my window. The local VW dealer, from whom I did not buy the car, replaced it immediately as well as the other window which had not broken, they were extremely helpful. I also had the car not start one time shortly after purchasing, but it turned out to be a problem with the key fob, also fixed free of charge. I have read all the bad reviews, but I have been extremely happy with this car. I have driven it tons and I love it. I did also find however that you need to keep an eye on the oil, it does need about a quart every 1k.

The car is so much fun to drive. The trunk is so big, and easy to put stuff into, and the seats fold down easily, making our happy impulsive large item purchases from costco easy to get home. The seat belts are easy to access. I LOVE the dash lights!

The rear cupholders don't work so good, and they seem like they would break easily, but they never have.