Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 397 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Treated Me Right
By IAHAWK

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Almost 65,000 miles and no problems. I must say that this car has treated me right. I'm amazed by some of the other negative reviews I read in here. Either they had lemons or just didn't treat their car right. I followed all the recommend maintenance and the car has treated me right for it. As much as I like this car I have out grown it and because I feel that VW has made a huge mistake on the new Jetta, I will not be buying another one. I would recommend this car to anyone that is looking to buy used. Especially the VR6, this is a very solid engine and I know can and will run for many more miles.

VR6...Smooth and has great low end torque. High quality interior.

Suspension needs to be stiffened up..too much body roll. The manual shifter is like a box of rocks, not smooth at all. Need more leg room. In dash CD player.

Okay car
By IbiG82

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0L (4sp auto) back in OCT 2000. I have 85,000 miles on it now and still runs like a new. I don't think I had many problems with this car. But once, there was a window problem which VW dealer recalled and fixed and another one was the automatic shift knob didn't work because when you try to change gears you're supposed to step on the brake for safety, but that sensor broke. I think replacing that cost me around $150~200.. and some light came on but VW dealer took care of.. And that's about it... bad thing about this car is that rear space is too small. No rear leg room. Gas mileage is poor. 2.0L has only 115hp and only get 22/28 miles per gallon.. weak engine

pretty interior, looks like a luxury compact car, safety, fun to drive

Little more Horsepower please (only 115HP)... should have better mileage per gallon with this 2.0L engine,very compact rear seat space,

FahrFromMovin
By B.F. of Long Beach

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am utterly frustrated with my car. It has had a repeated problem of engine light issues. The turbo had to be replaced, and then it was realized most of the engine oil was stuck in the turbo inter-cooler. I have been to the dealer 6 times since December 2004 - April 2005. My Air-Sensor has been replaced multiple times. I worry each day if I will be hanging out with my service representatives, whom I know all by first name.

The Wolfsburg Edition Package.

Improve the reliability

Bargain in a nice wrapper
By Brian Reed

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have taken this car on two long trips and it has been everything I wanted and more. Everything works superbly in the car from the Monsoon system, cd changer, seats and cupholders. It gets fabulous MPG in town and on the road. I consistently get between 27-30 in town and 34-37 on the road. When the cruise is engaged, it has no problem pulling an uphill grade like the Grapevine in CA fully loaded. I love this car!!!

I love the ergonomics in the car. Everything is easy to get used to in the car. The buttons don't wiggle in their seats unlike my last car. The interior is beautiful too. It has contrasting colors and textures everywhere and the gaps are all tight. And the lighting inside is great!

I would like a different interior fabric on the seats. While it is comfortable to sit on, it looks too much like mousefur. I would like a high quality tweed on the seating surfaces with a different fabric for the back. Other than that, this car is perfect.

Bummer
By jsmcars

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car loks good on paper. Turbo, BBS, sporty suspension atc. I have had NUMEROUS electrical problems. Currently my turn signals dont work, moon roof doesn't work, check engine light goes on and off even thought there isnt anything wrong with the engine, all this started happening the same day. All in all, I have had fun with the car as far as the drivability goes but satisfaction is in the details. I am in the car business and now know that VW's arent worth much on trade due to all the predicted problems and I wouldnt drive/buy another VW. Acura TL will be my next car and I will trade this car in and get KILLED on the trade.