Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 397 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

TDI rules
By turbobee

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the performance of my Jetta GL TDI now that the MAF has been replaced. I zoom all over town and down the freeway.

The turbo injection...vrooooom!

The only bad thing about the car is the interior. The German's skimped on the carpeting and seat materials; easily frayed. Also the crank wheel for reclining the seat is akward.

Think twice or just don't buy!
By Oregon owner

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Dissappointment is all I have to say. I bought my Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T two years ago and have had nothing but costly trouble. I've replaced my electrical harness, main engine gasket cover, and Mass Ariflow sensor (twice)-each $200-300 in cost. Lights are iffy-I've also replaced nearly every single bulb possible in and out(rear breaklights twice), the center console's latch (three times). The continuous rattle from the front panel as well as from the e-brake button are enough to drive you crazy and from discussions with other Jetta owners I know this is a problem across the board. And this week I had to replace the horns-$250! If you want a VW get a Passat. They manufacture these in Germany rather than Mexico.

The exterior deisgn is what I liked and why I chose the Jetta. In addition the heated seats, excellent sound system and comfy back seating are nice. Its pretty to look at.

Manufacture them in Germany! I've been told by VW dealership mechanics that quality control is not as good at the manufacturing plants in Mexico! I will probably never purchase a Jetta again. This was a second attempt- had a 1981 Jetta many years ago with a nearly monthly catalytic converter problem.

Good car, with the right dealer.....
By Auto Wholesaler

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have 95,000 miles on my 2001 Jetta TDI. I bought it with 13,000 miles on it about 3 years ago because I wanted a comfortable car with great mileage as I am in the auto wholesaling business. The TDI delivers on these primary points. Handling and performance are great, the TDI while short on HP delivers great torque and acceleration for most situations. I am averaging 42 mpg consistently with the automatic transmission in combined (mostly highway) driving. I buy and sell up to 50 used vehicles a month, mostly late model and of all the Jetta models the TDI is tops for resale in this regard.

Handling, mileage, safety, and ride. I think a great combination in it's class. Get the heated seats if at all possible they work great even in mild weather for my sore back. Once you have them, you won't have a car without them.

Many postings complain of expensive repairs that my dealer has fixed for free (brakes / sensors) under recall or bulletins not released publicly, so satisfaction would probably be higher for most if they get the right dealer, who is trustworthy. I hate the velcro seat fabric it's a lint magnet. Volkswagen has changed this in later models already.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Ron Franks

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife and intitially we were thrilled - it was very cool and a lot fun to drive. After about two years and 20,000 miles the fun began - rear brakes, oxygen sensor faults, airbag switch faults, windows falling in the doors, cracked ignition coil harness (?), bad fuses, frozen doors in the winter, etc., etc., etc. I have owned many cars in my life and have never, ever experienced this sort of ongoing maintenance nightmare. I take care of my cars and never have a problem with investing $$$ to keep them running properly, but give me a break! Half of the things that went wrong with this car I had never heard of (and one of my other cars is a Saab)! Toyota's from now on!

The rear tail lights will look really cool as they sink into the lake that I'm going to drive it into.

Stop producing such pieces of junk and apologize to everyone who has experienced this sort of agony. From reading the posts on this BB and others there seems to be many of us!

Nice car, when it isn't in the shop
By Werewolf

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is one of the best driving cars I have ever had. Fast, quick, and amenities up the wazoo. I love the nice leather, rain sensor, Monsoon sound, and tight feel of the car. Unfortunately, this is not ofset by reasonable reliability, and has been the worst car I have EVER owned for reliablilty. In the shop over nine times for major things, not to mention the minor ones. Transmission lock, coolant leak, two coils, three O2 sensors, window fell, fuel pump relay, and on and on. I guess the really bad part is that VW just doesn't seem to care...

Tight feel, road handling, leather, sound and overall "feel" of the car.

VW needs to do something about reliability or they'll go the way of Renault and Yugo.