Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 397 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love and hateful relationship
By schrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got my Jetta in 2011, and it did good for a while but in a year it started having over heating problems. I loved driving it but then in 2013 the coil pack went out, so I just parked it in our yard and drove my 95 Nissan XE. Finally in 2015, I put a new coil pack in it and drove it to the mountains, on my way back the tire blew out and destroyed the front left side

Love it and hated it at the same time

5 speed Dash lights

Engine Transmission Get rid of the crayon smell Get rid of the cheap plastic

Highly Recomended
By dmo1860

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is outstanding. I have 250,000 miles on her and she still drives like she has 80,000. She has the 2.0L and is extremely reliable. The engine is paired with the 5 speed manual gearbox and is an absolute joy. I have no doubt that this car will make it another 250,000 miles! And it has been a hard 200K miles on it too (driven by a teenage boy.) If one is for sale and its in good condition, I highly recoment getting it. Wether it's for a first car, or a car for your kid. if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. It is the most solid car I've ever driven and I hope I'll Never have to get rid of it.

Moon Roof 5 Speed Blue Gauge lights the look Reliability Handling

The bumper under the headlights sags after a while

Most Reliable I ever owned
By autowolf

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned the car for 3 years and to this day it has been in more close calls than any other car I have owned, but never let me down. I had to pull over on hwy I89
for over heating once,
the problem was a leaking seal at 160k miles and it was an easy fix. Off the road one icy dirt road in the winter, thanks to the car's design I was safe in a ditch unfortunately, but safe from scratches on the paint and I was only shocked a little by the event, driver error and winter conditions. I have been kept safe on the winter roads thanks to this car and it
has been the most fun car in it's year and class that I have ever driven.

Most favorite feature was the power moon/sun roof. The audio system in the car isn't superior but I say par to slightly under par but the controls are easy to use and the bass isn't muddy or too strong and the adjustment controls for the bass is easy. The rear folding seats are great for adding space, lift seat base and the fold and remove head rest and fold down the rear seat back supports fits flat and snug.

Center console from previous owner is damaged. Not sure why. Wish it has more cup holders in the back and one more power point for the rear seats. The power points are located in the front by the shift lever and one in the trunk.

Great Reliable Car
By herbz

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

164,000 miles and running great. Reliable as can be. Good on gas, MPG has dropped slightly as the car aged but still gets 30mpg city easily. Massive trunk for a small car. Other than ground clearance it is a very good winter car.

Only issue is an intermittent CEL related to an emissions issue that comes and goes. Dealer says its not worth chasing as the car runs perfect.

Definitely will consider another Jetta or VW product.

More power. The naturally aspirated 2.0 does the job but it could definitely use some more jam.

Lemon! Terrible! Money Pit!
By whitewolf1145

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car breaks down more than any car ive ever even heard of! Something anything breaks at least once a week and being a vw parts cost $1000+ for the simple crap! Bought car 6 months ago at 107,000. It now has 117,000 and after $2000+ in repairs the transmission is going out. The car has ruined my financial life! i owe $4000 still thats twice what i could sell it for if it worked!
-__- Very expensive lesson learned!
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Looks MPG

Sorry the list of suggested improvements was too long to show from this review. Basically the car was crap dont buy it.