Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 352 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

best car i have ever owned
By love my jetta

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my jetta with 200,000, kms, replaced the timing belt, inner and outer tie rod ends when I first bought it and since I have put 80,000 kms, with no problems, I will allways buy VW, real fun to drive 2.0 5 speed, handles great, has no rust anywere, no rattles,

heated seats, great looking dash and interior, great handling, love the blue dash lights

come on , do they not use cup holders in germany, fix it, broken glove box, and centre console, watch where your key is car will randomly lock it self

Dream car turned money pit
By Krystyna

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new with 12 miles on it. The car ran great for the 1st 3 years. My problem 1st started with an o2 sensor that was replaced in the 1st year of ownership-and my cup holder was replaced twice and the 3rd one broke but was not covered by the warranty. My glove box handle also broke off not to mention the arm rest broke. Then in '04 the j-joint snapped and caused the steering to fail. '05 I had to replace a cracked oil pan. Then in '08 the radiator blew ($500.00). Then the timing belt fell off, smashed the power steering pumu and wrapped around the tension arm ($750.00 w/o a new $350.00 tension arm) I've had 2 batteries, re-replaced the 02 sensor and today my car won't start.

the design inside and out

I suggest VW take a look at Toyota's and Hondas. I could improve my car by driving it off a cliff. $2000.00 in repairs in less than a year on a 9 year old car??? They could really work on the interior tho', considering everything broke-including my electrical clock.

Jetta TDI
By Georgia

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I have owned this TDI for 6 yrs and have been very happy. It has over 300k and is running strong. Every feature still works (heated seats). We get an adverage of 51 mpg. and we just purchased a second one for my husband.

heated seats, comfortable seats, sunroof and fun to drive.

better cup holders. Sun glass holder.

2000 Jetta GL
By Ebozz

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

The Jetta I have driven for the last 9/10 years has been good to me overall. That said, I would not buy another Volkswagen the next time I purchase a car. It is a sharp looking vehicle, fun to drive, and very comfortable. My issues have mainly been with the quirkiness of mechanical instruments and engine parts. I think you could find a Japanese car for the same money and find better reliability. Common issues include replacing the following: Water pump (impeller is plastic on original and designed to fail; eventually the inside of it melted and had to be replaced. The catalytic converter needed replacing (warranty is 10yr/120K miles FYI). And various other check engine lights etc.

Interior design, handling is great, instrument panels easy to read, trunk size, full size spare, backseat folds down.

Radio reception is awful FM and AM. Catalytic converter and water pump broke too soon. Door hinges are starting to loosen up. Automatic lock system does not function properly anymore. Trunk latch and hood latch are plastic and both needed replacing. Lots of light bulb changes throughout.

great great mpg
By leo1979

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

great car it sips diesel great mileage i drive 236 miles a day with only a problem with the a/c sent it to shop 3 times different shops

milage,exterior design fast car handling

cup holders and plastic delicate very flimsy