Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 309 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Nightmare on Wheels
By tenmpf150

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We've nicknamed the car "The Black Dalia" if that tells you anything. Right from the get go this German engineered piece of Mexican craftsmanship has been a complete nightmare. This car has broken faster than I can physically fix it. First it was the clutch plates slipping, then it was the window off track, then it was the dashboard falling apart, then the seats always look filthy, then the door locks didn't work, then the interior lights, then the key fob stopped working, the motor burns a quart of oil a week, the MAF has gone twice, then the fuel injectors started surging, now the car bucks like a bronco, the doors won't stop chiming like they are open all the time!! and the list goes on...

Absolutely nothing, I hate this car with a burning passion!

I wish VW had included a self destruct feature, or at least allowed for spontaneous combustion.

it's a soild 8
By thickandwide

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Probably the best car I've ever owned. Sites like this mostly attract negative reviews from upset consumers who don't understand how to maintain a vehicle. The Jetta has a reliable VR6 motor that is both strong and economical and came with a lot of perks for a 2000 car: CD changer, moon roof, "front trac" stability control, heated seats, Monsoon 8-speaker stero, and heated leather seats to name a few. My only complaint, as with most owners, is that this car chews up water pumps - and it has two of them (an electrical and mechanical) and yes they are expensive to repair. Also VW needs to make it easier to change the headlamps. Basic maintenance should be easier.

A strong motor is a must have, but the heated seats are fabulous. Another good design is the "tube" style oil filter which allows you to go between 5000-7000 miles between oil changes helping to keep the cost of maintenance down. The 5-30W oil doesn't hurt either. Two thumbs up 4 the VW engineers

200hp motor for a bit more power, an additional 3" of leg room in the back seat, solve the water pump issue, perforated leather AC seats like the BMW 7-series, 4-motion, projector headlamps (that are easy to access), stock cold air induction would be nice also.

Why are so many people complaining?
By SkydiverMN

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I currently have 165k on my Jetta GLS 2.0L. Besides some recall issues (window motor module, and a catalytic converter) the car's been fine. Sure, there are wearable items that go, and I recently did a suspension replacement (tie rods, ball joints, lower control arms, struts, and rear shocks) that cost about $600 for parts. Otherwise, it's a solid runner and is fun to drive. Would I but another? Sure. All cars eventually have most (if not all) of the issues that I've run into.

standard tranny, leather seating, heated seats, and cool dash color.

cup holder design stinks. Breaks easily, but you can find replacements online.

best car i have ever owned
By love my jetta

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my jetta with 200,000, kms, replaced the timing belt, inner and outer tie rod ends when I first bought it and since I have put 80,000 kms, with no problems, I will allways buy VW, real fun to drive 2.0 5 speed, handles great, has no rust anywere, no rattles,

heated seats, great looking dash and interior, great handling, love the blue dash lights

come on , do they not use cup holders in germany, fix it, broken glove box, and centre console, watch where your key is car will randomly lock it self

Dream car turned money pit
By Krystyna

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new with 12 miles on it. The car ran great for the 1st 3 years. My problem 1st started with an o2 sensor that was replaced in the 1st year of ownership-and my cup holder was replaced twice and the 3rd one broke but was not covered by the warranty. My glove box handle also broke off not to mention the arm rest broke. Then in '04 the j-joint snapped and caused the steering to fail. '05 I had to replace a cracked oil pan. Then in '08 the radiator blew ($500.00). Then the timing belt fell off, smashed the power steering pumu and wrapped around the tension arm ($750.00 w/o a new $350.00 tension arm) I've had 2 batteries, re-replaced the 02 sensor and today my car won't start.

the design inside and out

I suggest VW take a look at Toyota's and Hondas. I could improve my car by driving it off a cliff. $2000.00 in repairs in less than a year on a 9 year old car??? They could really work on the interior tho', considering everything broke-including my electrical clock.