Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I'd Buy Again
By RunWithBenny

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

These little cars are perfect for commuting. I've put on 60,000 miles since I purchased it and have only had to service the timing belt and clean the intake system due to diesel soot. I was unsure what to expect for maintenance with a diesel, but I've been very satisfied. This car is too small for a family, but has great pickup when driving solo. Get a manual transmission if you are considering this car - the autos are much slower!

The turbocharger, reliable engine, and great fuel economy. I'm expecting to get to 200,000 miles with this car.

The interior items are flimsy (glove box, cup holders, etc.) Improve dealer service - find a good mechanic and you'll be happy.

Drivers Wanted - Mechanics Needed
By lithia scumbags

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is the worst car I've ever owned. It has had lots and lots of problems with the front end, brakes etc... the list is endless. Don't make the same mistake I made, buy a Honda or Toyota. I spent all my free time at the dealership, waiting for the latest excuse why my car won't run right, but how there is nothing wrong with the car.

The way my new Honda performed after I unloaded this bomb!

Build a reliable car (preferably in Japan) and have some form of customer service, not just a human excuse generator!

220,000 miles in a VW TDI
By Tim T

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I know not why there is not greater availability of these cars...they provide good performance, are extremely comfortable and relaxed at high speeds on long drives, and are very economical to operate. Mine has achieved between 43 and 47 mpg so far. In real world driving conditions, they far outperform most Hybrids on performance AND economy. I have not had any major problems to date, but I DO NOT go to VW dealerships anymore as they are not famililiar with these cars and when faults do occour (usually in the engine management system) they are unable to solve the problems.

The perfect driving position, the fact that it's very relaxed at high speed, long tank range (over 400 miles), good build quality, and low maintenance needs.

Why can't we get the latest engines here? The current one in Europe puts out substantially more power than the unit that is available here and seems to be more economical to boot. I recently drove a 170 hp 2.0 TDI. The 1.9 sold here is a slugggardly clunker by comparison. The European version is truly fabulious.

mechanics needed
By pete reno

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jetta TDI Sedan brand new, the car pulled to the right severely, after months of letter writing phone calls, and endless visits to the servise dept, VW gave me another car. After 5,000 miles in the new car the steering wheel shakes severely. I have made numerous visits to the dealer with absolutely no help. VW of America was worse, I would never ever own another Volkswagen.

The good gas mileage.

I bought a 15 year old Honda Accord after this nightmare, it is 150% more reliable than the new cars I bought from Volkswgen. Drivers wanted, mechanics and engineers needed!

New Owner
By Mike

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

We have recently purchased a TDI. After long consideration we went for it. Lookslike a lot of work was done at the dealer. Hopefully we missed the worst. At 110km they did timing and waterpump as we insisted due to previous warnings and info. A lot of fun (5 speed). I am not sure of the mileage quality yet that everyone boasts about. I guess it all depends on the type of driving. We tend to have a heavy foot.

Power roof, and windows powered by keylock in doors is pretty neat!!

Cupholders right above all the electronics is a really bad idea!! Wheel on the seat to recline it takes forever and is very basic and unadvanced idea. I hope they have improved it in newer models.