Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Break all at once
By farid

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I was disapointed with this car, despite the low mileage (under 45,000 at purchase) it start to break starting with the engine mounts, axels, brakes, engine lights went on since I changed the spark plugs. The bottom line it's not fun as advertised, I liked my old Corrola 90 with 130,000 miles on it better.

It handles the road very well. fuel effeciency. nice looking.

Reliable or at least cheaper parts.

Great Car
By great car

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 103,000 miles on it in 2004. The paint is still very shiny (exclusive to wolfsburg painting techniques) and the suspension, wheel bearings and other components were still in great condition. The car has decent pickup for a 4-cyl. (faster than my honda) and the 5 speed transmission works beautifully. The engine idles very smoothly and is very reliable. My clutch did however go out at about 107,000 miles which is normal. I get many complements about my car and I love it. The only problem is the door trim, which any able bodied person can fix for 4 dollars by buying a tube of automotive adhesive. Install NEUSPEED products!

Exterior design, color of paint and interior design. 4 wheel disk brakes all round. Alarm and keyless. Trunk space. Leg room up front for us tall people, not like a Honda.

Cup holders, handling can be improved by purchasing a 100 dollar strut tie bar. I reccommend re-chipping it, putting an intake and exhaust on. Makes a world of difference in the 2.0 crossflow.

Please do NOT buy a VW Jetta
By Amy1234

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Jettas are a maintenence nightmare! Since I got my Jetta (new in 1998), the following are only some of the problems I have had (most occured REPEATEDLY or were never resolved): window motors went out 6 times, cruise control (fixed twice, still doesn't work), volume control on radio, side plastic moldings don't stay on, keyless entry broke less than a year after buying, faulty front spoiler. To top it all off, I just found out I have $7,000 in transmission repairs. Everyone who I have spoken with has had similar problems and several VW owners I know have or are trying to get their cars declared lemons. I am NOT a person who complains at much...but it is ridiculous that VW is still in business.

None

The electrical system and transmission are riddled with problems.

For People who love to drive
By swgplain

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My first vehicle was a 1977 Rabbit since then I have had 9 VWs from a 74 convertible Super Beetle to my 98 Jetta I just purchased. VW knows how to build a car that fun to drive, reliable, economical, and easy to work on. I must say that the Jetta is quite an improvement over my previous VWs and I look forward to many years of driving pleasure.

Keyless entry, Huge trunk, velour seats, A/C, Premium Stereo, power sun roof

Move the cupholders out from under the radio so you can put a cup in them

Sporty, reliable, but slow
By blackjettak2

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan K2 4dr Sedan

This is a a fun car but when the shocks wear out, as mine have it drives like a waterbed when you push it hard, it is fast off the line but it is overall a slow car this one really needs a turbo....:) The protective door moldings do tend to come loose, and my car is have some issues with door pulls that turn white in the sun... other then that, super reliable, easy to work on, and a head turner even when in factory state, and most of all those heated sport seats in our cold canadian winter..:)

heated seats, awesome 8 speaker sound, recaro manufactered heated sport seats, good looks, standard alloys

a faster engine, wish the 1.8 turbo was out already...and sportier suspension, and a standard CD player...