Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Transmission Problems With My 1997 VW
By vdubbub8403

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car 2-3 years ago and I have had nothing but trouble with the transmission slipping it started out something I can deal with but has just gotten worse threw time I think I have spend more money on this car than I paid at the dealership. I got an estimate on it $3000 to replace the transmission. Forget it I will go buy A Honda are A small truck I have heard that there is issues with this year and other years I wish I would of knew that before wasting my money I have always liked VW but I have lost all respect for them know

If only I'd known
By Siera

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a not so reliable dealer unfortunately. The car worked well for about a month. The transmission has been on its way out since I bought it. I've had to replace the fuel pump and other assorted things because it wouldn't start. Now it's not starting again, two months after the last fiasco. This time its believed to be the ignition switch. The only way it stays on is to hold the key all the way over. I have been told by a VW specialist to get rid of it while I still can. It's been nothing but problems and now I have to look for a new car before a start college in a month. My boyfriend's sister had one too and they told her it wasn't safe to drive anymore and to get rid of it.

The sunroof. I love it. The sound system is also pretty nice for factory.

Gas mileage. I get maybe 20 mpg. The transmission needs replaced. Expensive parts and labor because it needs to go to a VW person. Haven't met a person yet who liked their Jetta, new or used.

VW heaven
By Vw all the way

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

This car will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first. I love the interior but the cup holders are not good. I have had issues with window motors and transmission but I have recked it two times and its still getting me around with out issues at 130k. Overall this is a nice car and its design is very sporty.

bucket racing seats with trek design, alloy factory rims and spoiler

cup holders, catalytic converter

love this car
By lyn

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

awesome performance, has never let me down, minimal maintenance, tight turning, holds at least 5 teen sized soccer players!

easy to accessorize, great top end, a real feel-good car, fabulous gas mileage

cup holders, more comfortable seats (front), cheaper exhaust system

VW built to save lives.
By TAMMY BANE

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Jazz 4dr Sedan

My 17 year old daughters (twins) have been driving this car for 1 1/2 years. Friday night my daughter lost control of the vehicle, flipped twice, hit a tree, hit a rock wall and landed on the roof of the car. The exterior of the car is completely totaled. The interior of the car is completely intact. The frame work around the top and sides of the car held it from crumbling around her. My daughter walked away from the accident and has only 9 stitches in her knees (and I believe that is from crawling out of the car.) VW is built tough and will be the car of choice for my children to drive.

Sturdy frame.