Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My last VW
By BC1943

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Briefly and to the point. I have spent more in repairs over the years than the car cost me to buy($15000). If I had sold it at end of warranty period I would have been ok. Electrical gremlins were many and often returned within days of "fix".. I finally put black tape over the annoying light. Reliability is highest priority for me and VW has lost many good customers due to this issue. I still use the car for dump runs and local use but never for long distances.

VR6 engine is excellent and burns no oil between changes(5000 miles synthetic) even after 150000 miles.

Made in Germany is your best choice for reliability!!

NEVER AGAIN VW
By VW Hater

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car because i REALLY wanted a Jetta. That was a mistake. The check engine light has been on basically ever since it was bought. Converter cover fell off, exhaust is going to fall off, AC doesn't work, passenger window, doesn't work, transmission sticks, car shakes horribly at stop lights, and trunk and doors leak in the rain. I never want a jetta again! Do not buy!

Seats are comfy, roomy, and one touch windows.

Almost everything, but why suggest anything on a 13 year old car. Its pointless

New to VW's
By Just Bought

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Saw the car and fell in love with it! Has a few quirks, like speedometer doesn't work once and a while, check engine light comes on and goes off a lot. Hate the cup holders - too small and bad location, also no glove box, but plenty of storage pockets, huge truck compartment and so far runs good and 5 speed manual transmission works good and car handles well.

Huge trunk and alarm system.

overall good car
By Cam

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vw about a year ago. ever since it has been very reliable, fuel efficient, and fun to drive. beings it's a jetta and ment to run hard i like to run it up to 4k then shift, which in turn gives me better mileage. I am very impressed with this vehicle and intend on getting a '01 1.8t in the future

Jetta Love
By kimberly

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have never been let down by my Jetta. It is very good on gas and has no dents, does need paint job. Color is black and interior is beige and black.

Reliable and sporty.