Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

Never thought I would LOVE an efficient car!
By motoxer913

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I'm a car nut and I proclaim this THE PERFECT CAR!!
The TDI motor #1 is why I love this car.
I can drive 600 miles on a single tank, consistent 35-43 MPG at normal speeds.
I don't baby my car, I like to have fun while I drive and yet it still gets 35+ mpg.
On a weekend road trip it got 43mpg at 80mph.
#2 is the Wagon and roof rack.
A recent road trip to Steamboat Springs my wife and I had 2 road bikes inside and 2 mtn bikes on the rack plus gear.
So flexible!!
#3 This car is proof that selling my truck that was costing $300+/month gas was the right decision. I enjoy driving it more, it cut my gas usage by 1/3, and it's plenty flexible to transport cargo and toys.

-TDI motor and 6 speed manual are a great match...I love having a manual transmission...so much fun! -The huge panoramic sunroof is awesome, kids love it! -Good sound system with iPod, MP3, and SD card. -Fun to Drive!! -Wagon is super flexible for cargo and toys -Roof rack is strong and easy to attach racks to -Interior styling is very attractive -It's literally THE PERFECT CAR

Fix the mini-van looking rear end, it's too bubbly for my taste, but not terrible. Better blue-tooth, it's missing a lot of features, but performs good. The sunshade on the panoramic sunroof should be more than a sunshade, it should also be a sound barrier to reduce wind noise from using a roof rack system. It's too easy to stall the motor...kind of weird since it's a diesel and all. Not available in AWD. Need additional diesel motor options in the USA

By trex1200r

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was looking for a sporty, roomy vehicle that I could easily haul my dog in. The sportwagen has a large cargo area, and the heigth is easy to negotiate for our aging pup.
While shopping around, I convinced myself I had to have a diesel for the torque and the mileage.

Performance is good, not great.
DSG likes to keep the revs low, so you need some planning and patience for the wave to arrive. Sometimes the wave is there, sometimes you wait.

Gas Mileage.
Averaging 38mpg over 9K miles.
It takes a good 10 miles to get the mileage reading into the 30's, so not sure how it would do if you only take short trips. Probably not good.

TDI Gas mileage Nice looking inside and out Good performance per gallon factor Nice touchscreen audio system Heated seats work very well Lots of Cargo space Hard to tell its a diesel, quiet, no smoke, no warmup time for glow plugs.

Need HID headlights as an option Need foglights as an option DSG downshifts when coasting and braking. Push the gas pedal, count to two. Needs paddle shifters Could use more storage cubbies.

Great automobile
By rchkah

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased the car in April and have just over 14,000 miles on it.
Always averaging 42 mpg.
Love everything about the car.
If I have an issue it would be somewhat jerky in town driving like it is searching for the right gear.
Mine is an automatic so I can always downshift it to increase the RPMs.
Snow season will soon be coming and I hope winter traction is good.

Mileage, handling, acceleration.

5,000 miles, so far so good
By cadrm123

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car this summer and so far have quite enjoyed it.
It accelerates and drives well for a more family friendly car than my Audi convertible.
The seat is comfortable, and I am getting between 30-31 mpg on the car.
I have found that cabin space ample for my trips around town.

Enjoy the panoramic sunroof, as well as the blue tooth feature which works well.

Automatic car lights. It is a pain to have to turn them on and off. Rear passenger windows go down to a weird level. Volkswagen mechanic initially agreed with me that something was wrong with them.

Don't believe these high reviews
By johnnybumps

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

First thing you must do is Google HPFP failure. It is happening to all 2010 and newer models with the CR injection system. Mine died on the road at 23,000 mi and had a horrible time threatening VW of America and the delearship to fix under warranty. All the dealers are giving the same story to owners that face the "flashing lights of death" on ther dashboard that they are to blame for putting gasoline in their engines instead of diesel. This is a lie not to honor an engineering defect.

Handling, acceleration, comfort

VW America must re-engineer the fuel system to comply with ULSD in the U.S. otherwise this issue will continue.