Used 2012 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Driver's car
By foggnm

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Because I drive so little (4000 miles/yr), I wanted something sporty, stylish, and most of all fun! So after trying several other cars the past 2 years, I found exactly what I wanted in a GTI. It has the perfect balance of sport, economy, and adult-styling. It is quick, but not gas-wasting fast. It is nicely outfitted on the inside, has a wonderful exhaust/turbo sound, and looks sharp from the outside. This car is a bit pricey new, but I found mine one year used with 6000 miles for an awesome price. Got the model with navigation which also has the attractive and functional bi-xenon/LED lights. I'm sure there are longer lasting, more reliable cars, but life's too short not to enjoy your car.

LED lights, hatchback convenience, DynAudio system, styling, handling, easy to park, fluid manual transmission, overall driving experience.

VW could probably sell a million of these cars if they priced them about $5K less. The one I purchased would have run about $28-29K new, which is a lot for a small car. I would have liked to have a power drivers seat that allows for tilting the seat cushion (that part you sit on). Homelink would have been nice. The seat side bolsters are a little narrow (and I'm tall and thin).

My Third GTi ...
By bobatglp

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owned a 1996 GTi (4 cyl), 2004 GTi (VR6) and now a new "left over" 2012 GTi 4-door with the DSG automatic and moonroof and nav package.

A really solid, well put-together car with a great mix of style, sportiness, economy, and utility.
After two cars with maual transmissions I opted for the DSG this time with no regrets.
Really like the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
Lots of fun.

Couldn't deal with the cost of an all-wheel-drive Golf R, so I "settled" for the GTi.
No regrets.

DSG transmission, user-friendly stereo, nav, and bluetooth. The bi-xenon headlights and LED daytime running lights come with the moonroof and nav package and are worth the price. LEDs are very cool and unique - not that many GTis running around Connecticut with the LEDs. The bi-xenons actually turn with the steering to light corners. Love it.

Heated seats need to be turned on every time you start the car (my '04 GTi allowed you to turn them on once and they would always be on when you start the car - long, cold winters here). Trunk space is surprising smaller than my '04 GTi. Not sure if it's because I opted for the 4-door? Moonroof switch should be lit. Cannot disable the horn toot when the car is locked. Why is that? For that matter, why exactly does any car need the horn to sound when the car is locked?

So Far, Love this Car
By caseydog3

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After buying a new 2012 VW passat in July 2012, I decided to trade it in for a new 2012 GTI.
While the passat was a nice BIG family sedan, I wanted to drive something fun and sporty.
Also, I was having alot of trouble seeing at night with the Passat.

Anyway, I got the new GTI over the weekend.
It is so entirely different than the passat.
I can understand why people say they look forward to driving it everyday.
I feel the same way.
The visibility, comfort and feel of the car is so great.
It's smaller, but still has plenty of room.
I find that I'm playing the stereo less now because I like listening to the sound of the engine and the turbo.

seats so comfortable, turbo engine, handling, gas efficiency, sportiness

The only improvement I would say is to add more inside storage compartments. It's somewhat limited. You can get by with what's available, but a little more would be nice. That being said, I would still buy the car any day of the week.

A ride above the rest!
By cjcanada

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is my first VW and it's been great!
I bought my fully loaded 2012 gti in July 2012 and now have almost 12K on it (7400 Miles) and have had no issues.
I have even taken it on a road trip from Alberta Canada to California and back (5600 km) and no issues whatsoever.
This is a great car and fun to drive. I have no rattles or issues with this car so far.
Love this car!
Very few dislikes.
I would recommend this car as a daily fun commuter car.
I have the DSG and love it!
Sport mode revs too high though.
The car is a little light on the front end.
Spin the tires often.

Interior finish is the best I've seen. Very classy. Great handling. Self leveling headlamps and LED daytime lights are a nice touch. Plenty of room in the hatch. Nice looking car on the outside. Dynaudio is a great sound system but could use a subwoofer. Navigation system saved my relationship on the road trip I took! Works wonders.

The bolstered leather seats are snug and I am 6'2" tall and long in the legs so I find the bolsters uncomfortable. Probably great for average height persons. The turbo lag off the start was a little hard to get used to but I don't notice it as much now. Definitely not a car for drag racing but does great for zipping in and out of traffic. Nav system a little slow but easy enough to live with. The city I live in has terrible roads but this car has pretty darned good suspension even with the serron wheel package. Would suggest the 17 inch wheels for better comfort however.

1-yr Review
By shdwblumkvi

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2012 6MT shadow blue GTI 1 year ago today.

Here is my 1 Year Review.
After 365 days of owning a brand new GTI, my first VW, I can say it has been great.

But along with the good, I've had to accept some problems.

My fuel injector failed at 20k miles and left me on the side of the road. This is a common weakness of the GTI.

If you want reliable and dependable, buy a Honda. If you want German and high performance, expect to have some issues with this car. Some people have zero problems. You may get lucky. But plan on not being so lucky. I love driving this car, but don't know if I will keep it once the warranty is over.

Expect to have problems, but it is a wonderful car.

The interior is outstanding. The bluetooth works great for iPhones. I really enjoy the plaid seats. Fit and finish is top notch. Nothing rattles or vibrates after a year and everything seems to be holding up well. I installed OEM bi-xenons a few months ago. I would make sure you get one of the trim levels that include the HIDs/AFS feature, as this is the only thing I regret about this car. I also like how the rear seats fold up and provide a lot of space when needed.

Reliability continues to trouble VW. I read about plenty of people having all sorts of problems but you have to realize that high performance almost always comes at the expense of reliability/durability. VW should include the HIDs on all trims, not just the top 2. Also, there is a hissing in the driver window that is common to GTIs. Not a big deal. Also the wheel bearing failed after I brushed a low curb. Had to replace it. The GTI feels very fragile sometimes. If only they were more dependable cars. That's really my only complaint after 1 year and 21k miles.