Used 2009 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Have never looked back
By Matt

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 5th VW in my years. I grew up on them. I've wanted a GTI like mine for many years. Black on black. I wanted a car that would be fun and give me good gas mileage at the same time, and this thing does it all. I live in an area with awesome curvy roads and I truly enjoy driving it. I average 28 mpg in everyday driving. You can't go wrong with it as a family car as well.

Fit n' finish, reliable, great looks, overall low cost of ownership.

Put the euro light switch in US models so your not always burning the HID's. Give the car different DRL's.

rear hatch washer leaks
By Tom Doran

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, just what I expected and am very pleased with just about everything on the car. This is an Autobahn with 6-speed and shifts like a dream. For some reason the rear hatch washer leaks on the hatch window when open and leaks when the hatch is closed. Been to selling dealer 5 times and tech support has been contacted. Per tech, installed Tiguan check valve and the thing still leaks washer fluid. Anyone else have this problem?

Great style, paint and body fits and performance is outstanding. Getting 25.8 mpg running around Phoenix and back and forth to dealer trying to get leak corrected

Shorten the clutch pedal travel

Terrific Hot Hatch
By Gnslngr

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Looked for a car that had the utility of a four door hatch and was fun to drive - the GTI beats almost every other car on the market in the Fun-To-Drive category. There are some great forums for this car and some cool mods you can put on it. I'm getting 30 mph even when I drive it like an F1 car. Fun, Fun, Fun 'til my wife takes the GTI away......... Oh, yea - don't forget the Launch Control. It's a blast with the DSG and makes the car, with the paddle shifters, the coolest little hatchback on the planet.

Gas Mileage, Handling, Launch Control with DSG, Paddle Shifters, Steering Wheel that you'd want to put under your pillow at night, Ease of use when commuting.

The center console could use some work to be more comfortable, and the car needs more interior storage (enclosed door pockets, more room in center console)

Great Car
By Denis

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Have had the car for 2 mo. What a great ride! I was looking for comfortable seating and 4 dr. The seating issues ruled out the Honda's and Nissan's. The doors ruled out the Mini. The car has taken a bit of getting used to the ride (a bit stiffer than my 97 Golf), but the control and response will just put a grin on your face every time. That and the fact that this ting gets up and scoots. All this and I just got 33 mpg on a recent trip up to northern CA. Averaging 26+ combined driving over 2k miles on the car. Go VW.

DSG transmission. Style and handling. 4 door access.

None.

Great Decision
By stephen

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Had the car 2 weeks and have nearly 2K miles on it, wont be driving it that much after the summer. I sold my 2001 182K mile Passat on Craigslist in 36 hours and was looking at a 2007 Lexus IS250. Tried to make 4 different deals for the lexus's but no one wanted to budge. Got fed up and went back to VW and got a the loaded GTI autobahn package for less than a 2 year old lexus. Apples and Oranges I know but I do enjoy the GTI, had many many compliments on it already. The sport seats are a little narrow and took a while to get used to but now I quite enjoy it. Hope the quality rivals the old Passat, that car would have been good for another 100K.

Handling, Performance, Exterior Styling, Interior layout.

wider front seats